Maximize component reuse
Taking advantage of economies of scale and component reuse are key imperatives for companies to improve competitiveness. With direct materials costs representing more than half of an organization's spending, a global component supply chain necessitates a "design-to-cost" way of working. Enable the agility you need to implement a Design Anywhere, Manufacture Anywhere (DAMA) strategy with the component supplier management solution from IBM and Dassault Systèmes.
Advanced tools to help manage components
To meet these challenges, IBM and Dassault Systèmes offer a component supplier management solution designed to identify and manage reusable components in order to reduce costs when defining the approved vendor and manufacturer lists (AVL and AML) for the enterprise bill-of-material (BOM). The solution can help your business efficiently manage development processes for hardware, electrical and software parts whether they are designed and manufactured internally or purchased from suppliers. Your customized component supplier management solution may include:
- Dassault Systèmes ENOVIA, which offers a single, global collaborative innovation platform for managing engineering and business intellectual property.
- IBM® DB2®, which is used by ENOVIA to provide rapid access to product design information with high performance and scalability.
- IBM WebSphere®, which is used by ENOVIA as an application server, enables dynamic, interconnected business processes, and delivers a highly effective application infrastructure for all business situations.
- IBM Systems, which offer world-class servers and storage products to provide a robust and resilient infrastructure for high performance and availability.
- IBM product lifecycle management (PLM) consultants, who bring valuable experience to help with business transformation to improve product development processes by optimizing and integrating your PLM environment.
Facilitate cost-effective part development decisions
The component supplier management solution is a combined solution from IBM and Dassault Systèmes that allows you to model complex business rules so each design or component task and its related information can be captured, distributed and executed upon in a consistent and logical way. As interactions among cross-functional users ranging from design, testing, manufacturing, purchasing and quality control are required, the solution helps solve issues related to coordination of complex workflows, tasks and deliverables required for efficient part qualification and development. The solution has been designed to help you:
- Drive economies of scale by maximizing part reuse and component standardization across products, models and geographies.
- Maintain accurate and virtual real-time component information stored in a single, centralized system to help improve product quality.
- Enable enterprise-wide reuse of preferred parts, suppliers and manufacturers across multiple programs to reduce costs.
- Manage cross-referenced information for components, while maintaining several supplier or manufacturer equivalent parts for a given enterprise item to increase sourcing options and generate more accurate bills-of-material.
- Define and control component approval and preferences based on commodity, consuming location and supplier to reduce component proliferation.
- Support global business operations and a DAMA strategy.
The alliance partnership
A long history of innovation
Having first collaborated in 1981, the IBM and Dassault Systèmes relationship pre-dates the PLM industry. And as Global Alliance Solution partners, both companies bring significant experience and expertise as well as proven technology to each PLM implementation.
- Is a pioneer in the 3-D software market with applications that support the entire product life cycle—from conception to maintenance to recycling.
- Boasts a client base of more than 115,000 at locations in 80 countries.
- Is one of the world's largest systems integrators.
- Offers PLM services that cover business transformation, solution implementation, and infrastructure and application support and hosting.
Our two companies continue to invest in developing, deploying and supporting client PLM environments. Together, we serve a wide range of industries from industrial equipment to energy and utilities to shipbuilding to consumer packaged goods. As evidence of our commitment to working closely together:
- Dassault Systèmes' PLM solutions use WebSphere, IBM Tivoli®, IBM Lotus®, IBM Information Management and IBM Rational® software as well as IBM Systems to provide clients with a 3-D vision of a product's entire life cycle.
- We jointly established a PLM competency center focused on optimizing Dassault Systèmes' PLM solutions for performance, reliability and scalability on an IBM infrastructure.
- IBM Global Financing offers flexible financing options for end-to-end PLM solutions from IBM, and Dassault Systèmes to help fuel PLM innovation.