Back to infrastructure solutions
IBM Enterprise Asset Management for energy and utilities
Many assets. Disparate systems.
Energy and utility companies are asset-intensive. And historically, utilities have managed their assets in silos. However, the emergence of the smart grid and smart meters, challenges of an aging workforce, and a demanding regulatory environment make it critical to standardize on one asset management platform. Now, with the IBM® Enterprise Asset Management solution for energy and utilities, that need transforms from possibility to reality.
Many assets. One management platform.
By using an instrumented approach that includes digital sensors, advanced communication networks and sophisticated analytics, the IBM Enterprise Asset Management solution can help your enterprise understand asset condition, usage and allocation in near real time to more effectively manage resources and costs. The solution creates an interconnected value chain, linking utility participants at multiple levels from power plant to plug. It then enables the intelligent flow of information, which can be used to transform and optimize asset performance, worker productivity and supplier enablement.
Generate power―and performance
The IBM Enterprise Asset Management solution is comprised of three distinct offerings:
- Mobile workforce management from IBM, which enables real-time, two-way communication between the field force and dispatch center, and timely access to vital information.
- IBM Supply Chain Management, which enables the integration of solutions for strategic sourcing, supplier enablement, requisitions, order management, work management and materials management.
- IBM Asset Lifecycle Management Solutions, which focus on providing end-to-end information around your company’s assets throughout all phases of an asset’s life, from planning to procurement and retirement.
These three solutions are a vital part of a revitalization of today’s utilities, which also includes the emergence of the IBM Intelligent Utility Network Solution. Together, they can help your energy and utility enterprise:
- Better manage the life cycles of physical assets such as meters, meter cell relays and broadband over powerline (BPL) devices to improve preventive maintenance.
- Reconcile deployed asset information with information collected by meter data management systems.
- Correlate the knowledge of physical assets with problems experienced with the IT infrastructure to better analyze a problem's root cause.
- Establish more efficient business process workflows and strengthen governance across a company.
With the IBM Enterprise Asset Management solution, you can position your utility as a smart grid company with cutting edge, power-saving opportunities for customers and an ability to integrate alternative energies. This can help ensure competitive positioning for the future.
A leader in asset management
The IBM Enterprise Asset Management solution is built on IBM Maximo® Asset Management configuration tools, which let you tailor the system, screens and business processes to your business needs without altering source code. Additional tools can include:
- Maximo Spatial Asset Management―allows asset managers to visualize the spatial relationships among managed assets and other mapped features.
- Maximo Mobile Suite―supports compliance, improves efficiencies, increases productivity and enhances decision-making for solid business and compliance benefits.
- Maximo Calibration―provides all requirements for traceability and reverse traceability, all calibration history data, calibration data sheets and required reporting.
- Maximo for Utilities―adds specific functionality for transmission and distribution, including compatible unit estimating, crew management, meter management and spatial integration.
- Maximo for Nuclear―developed based on the Standard Nuclear Performance Model to meet the requirements of the highly regulated nuclear power environment.
- IBM Tivoli® Asset Management for IT―helps control the cost of IT assets with a single solution that tracks and manages your hardware, software and related information throughout their life cycle.
Back to infrastructure solutions