Smart manufacturing for chemicals and petroleum
Boiling it down
Chemicals and petroleum companies are faced with some of the most dynamic business challenges in history. At the same time, performance and output expectations have never been greater. However, this asset intensive business is plagued by an aging workforce and rapid fluctuation in feedstock cost as well as disparate systems, disconnected facilities and barriers to information sharing and collaboration. The smart manufacturing solution for chemicals and petroleum from IBM can help you integrate critical systems to gain visibility into manufacturing operations and maximize employee, asset and facility performance.
Smarter processes for processing
The smart manufacturing solution can help companies, like yours, gather, consolidate and use data from across your enterprise to develop actionable insights that help maximize the performance of facilities, assets and their global workforce. To achieve this goal, our solution is designed to take advantage of your existing instrumentation and operational systems to capitalize on information from sensors and equipment such as pumps, valves, temperature and pressure transmitters, and flow meters.
The solution then connects disparate systems and platforms as well as people and equipment to enable information sharing, collaboration, enterprise-wide visibility and interoperability. Of particular value to chemicals and petroleum companies is that the solution can link older facilities and assets with newer equipment, and even new refineries globally, and take advantage of enhancements and new technologies as they come on line. The solution can then help you develop business insights using advanced analytics to help you make more intelligent decisions about production and maintenance. This information can also deliver the agility needed to react to issues such as weather, market dynamics and even ownership change.
By linking facilities, systems, equipment and people, this solution helps improve collaboration and communication to optimize your entire business with smarter processes so you can:
- Act as issues occur with alerts and events triggered or activated by key metrics.
- Collaborate with experts on problems and solutions for smarter, more effective resource management.
- Instantly access key data concerning plant assets, measurements and documents in a consistent and intuitive format.
- Drive more predictable performance of manufacturing operations, maintenance and technical processes.
- Analyze and optimize manufacturing results for alignment with key performance indicators.
- Enhance decision making across your enterprise.
Refine your business
We can help you develop a business and technology strategy to take advantage of a smarter approach to manufacturing that helps you operate more efficiently and productively. IBM® Global Business Services® offers deep industry skills and experience and can provide true worldwide reach to handle your globally dispersed asset base. Our extensive industry relationships with suppliers and providers of control systems help us deliver a customized solution that avoids a "rip-and-replace" implementation, while providing access to new enabling technology for:
- Near-real-time data collection and application implementation.
- Data mining to make proactive decisions so performance can be made and production disruptions minimized.
- Pervasive computing devices for field optimization and better collaborative interactions.
- Control room portals and alarms for better decision implementation and collaboration.