Cloud-based recovery solutions
Cloud-based disaster recovery solutions can reduce the complexity of recovery. The service provider owns the hardware required, so organizations no longer need to pay for hardware that sits idle. Because they don’t require infrastructure purchases or in-house specialized recovery knowledge, cloud-based solutions enable small and midsize businesses to achieve the same recovery times, recovery points and security levels as large enterprises.
Cloud-based disaster recovery solutions can:
- Help shorten server recovery time from hours or days to just minutes
- Help improve recovery reliability by making the most of automation and cloud technologies
- Minimize the risk of failure to recover on unlike hardware
- Provide remote server access tools to help reduce the costs and inconvenience of travel
- Scale easily for geographic business expansion
Traditional off-site recovery solutions
Some organizations expect a traditional solution to offer them the greatest operational control and the most economic value. But traditional off-site disaster recovery can harbor hidden costs: expensive hardware sits idle when not being used for recovery; worse, it may be “borrowed” for other purposes, unavailable when disaster strikes. After a disruption, the hardware, operating systems, data and applications at the recovery site must be configured from the ground up to match the organization’s IT site—a process that can take days.
Traditional off-site disaster recovery solutions:
- Require standby hardware for faster recovery time
- Take cost and effort to maintain like hardware in recovery infrastructure
- Require a financial and time commitment for traveling to an off-site recovery center
- Do not scale up or down easily