- Complete EPUB
specifications: Read the specs available from the IDFP site, including the Open Publication Structure (OPS), Open Packaging Format (OPF), and OEBPS Container Format (OCF).
- XHTML 1.1 and DAISY: For more information on EPUB content formats, consult the XHTML 1.1 specification (currently a W3C Working Draft) and the DAISY Specification for the Digital Talking Book (DTBook).
- Add automatic EPUB validation to your XML editor with the various schemas for EPUB file formats:
Core Metadata: For more on metadata terms available in Dublin Core, consult the DCMI Terms document and usage guide.
technical events and Webcasts: Stay current with the latest technology.
- XML technical
library: See the developerWorks XML zone for a wide range of technical articles and tips, tutorials, standards, and IBM Redbooks.
- Technology bookstore: Browse for books on these and other technical topics.
- IBM XML certification: Find out how you can become an IBM-Certified Developer in XML and related technologies.
podcasts: Listen to interesting interviews and discussions for software developers.
Get products and technologies
- EpubCheck: Adobe EpubCheck is an invaluable tool for EPUB creation. Download and run it as a stand-alone program, a Web application, or as a library (requires Java version 1.5 or later).
- DocBook XSL: Download the latest version of the stylesheets for processing DocBook into EPUB. The DocBook XSL package also includes a Ruby script for processing into a complete EPUB archive, similar to the Python script demonstrated in this tutorial.
- lxml: If you don't have it installed currently, lxml
is the most full-featured XML library available for Python. For more information about
lxml, see the author's article High-performance XML
parsing in Python with lxml (Liza Daly, developerWorks, October 2008).
- Adobe Digital Editions and Bookworm: For EPUB testing, the e-readers that most closely follow the specification are ADE, a cross-platform desktop application, and Bookwork, the author's Web-based e-reader, which uses the browser for EPUB rendering.
trial software for product evaluation: Build your next project with trial software available for download directly from developerWorks, including application development tools and middleware products from DB2®, Lotus®, Rational®, Tivoli®, and WebSphere®.
- XML zone discussion
forums: Participate in any of several XML-related discussions.
- developerWorks XML zone: Share your thoughts: After you read this article, post your comments and thoughts in this forum. The XML zone editors moderate the forum and welcome your input.
- developerWorks blogs: Check out developerWorks blogs and get involved in the developerWorks community.