WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus is a new IBM product that entered the market in late 2005. It is designed to meet the connectivity and integration needs of Web Service applications and data. WebSphere Integration Developer is the development platform for WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus. It provides a flow editor, which allows developers to build meditation modules that deploy on WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus, as part of the Service Component Architecture (SCA). WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus, together with WebSphere Integration Developer and Service Component Architecture, allows developers to build, to deploy and to manage Enterprise Service Bus solutions.
The following diagram illustrates how WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus relates to other WebSphere server editions:
Figure 1. WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus and other WebSphere server editions
Customers can realize the following benefits when using an Enterprise Service Bus business transformation solution, such as WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus:
- Reduce development and maintain costs by moving to a service base architecture.
- Improve business responsiveness by getting products to the market faster.
- Increase customer satisfaction by improving product quality and delivery speed.
- Maximize return on assets by reusing existing business process.
- Bring new products to the existing customer with cross selling.
- Outwit the competitors by building differentiated applications.
|Service requester and service provider||Two types of application connect to an Enterprise Service Bus -- service requesters and service providers. Service requesters are applications that require service from another application on an ESB. Service providers are applications that provide service to other applications on an ESB.|
|Mediation module||A mediation module is an SCA artifact that processes and mediates message flows between service requesters and service providers.|
|Mediation flow||Mediation flow contains high-level mediation logic. It describes how messages flow between service requesters and service providers.|
|Mediation primitive||Mediation primitives are nodes connected within mediation flows. They contain programming logic that performs specific business or system functions.|
|Service message object||Service message objects are enhanced service data objects. It is an abstract layer for message processing between service requesters and service providers.|
|Application server||Mediation modules are deployed on a WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus-enabled application server.|
WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus provides the following features in addition to those provided by WebSphere Application Server:
- Routes messages between services
- Converts transportation protocol between service requesters and service providers
- Transforms message formation between service requesters and service providers
- Handles business events