About this tutorial
This tutorial provides instructions on how to develop services that will be used by Web, mobile, and third party applications. This tutorial also covers the WebSphere Commerce SOA-based programming model and how to build business logic that you can reuse across different channels. The tutorial is intended for architects, consultants, and developers who will be implementing WebSphere Commerce solutions.
In this tutorial, you will customize the Catalog service to support extended catalog entry information and use services from multiple channels. This customization includes:
- Updating the WebSphere Commerce schema to store new information.
- Customizing the Catalog service to include new information as user data in the CatalogEntry noun.
- Reusing the same service code no matter which channel the client is coming from.
This tutorial is written for WebSphere Commerce developers with skills and experience at an intermediate level. Additionally, you also need to be familiar with service-oriented architecture (SOA) concepts.
To create the example in this, you need WebSphere Commerce Developer V7 installed and configured. You also need the Madison Extended site starter store published with the Furniture catalog.
Before you start the tutorial:
- Download and install the soapUI application to work with the Web service.
- Unzip the code sample.zip file that is
provided with the tutorial to a temporary location, such as
<WCDev_Dir>represents the directory where the WebSphere Commerce development environment is installed, for example,
3 to 4 hours