Install the Web service
To begin this exercise, you need to install the stock quote SOAP Web service application to the WebSphere Application Server environment. The stock quote application is a sample application that is included with WebSphere Application Server.
- To install the application, navigate to the WAS_PROFILE_ROOT/bin directory of your WebSphere Application Server environment, where WAS_PROFILE_ROOT represents the installed location of your default application server profile.
- From here, install the application using this wsadmin command:
Listing 1. Application installation command
wsadmin -connType NONE -lang jython -c "AdminApp.install('<app_location>/WebServicesSample.ear', '[-usedefaultbindings]')"
- Start the application to verify that the installation was
successful. Do this by logging in to the WebSphere Application
Server administrative console at
and select Applications => Application Types =>
WebSphere enterprise applications. You should see the
WebServicesSamples application listed (Figure 1).
Figure 1. WebServicesSamples Application listed in admin console
- Select the checkbox next to the application name in the console and click the Start button.
- After the application has successfully started, confirm it is
available to serve requests by navigating to
in a browser. If you see a panel similar to Figure 2, then the
stock quote Web service is installed and ready to receive
Figure 2. Stock quote service message