WebSphere Commerce is a complex enterprise application system, consisting of the following products:
- WebSphere Commerce Server
- WebSphere Commerce Developer
- WebSphere Commerce Payments
To reduce downtime and risk, a divide-and-conquer methodology was applied to migrate WebSphere Commerce from release to release. Each product was divided into tiers: a database tier, an application tier, and a Web server tier.
To further minimize downtime and risk, the entire migration project was divided into two phases: a test migration phase and a production migration phase. During the test phase, the mission-critical products in a previous release are kept running, while migration teams practice the migration of the components on test systems. The purpose of this test phase is to learn how the application will be migrated. This allows the migration team to account for any problems when the production migration takes place.
To reduce complexity, the WebSphere Commerce Migration wizard was created to provide users with an easy to understand interface to guide them through the migration process. This tutorial will guide you through both phases of the WebSphere Commerce Server three-tiered migration process using the Migration wizard. You will be provided with hints along the way to successfully complete your migration, and gain an overall understanding of the functionality of the Migration wizard and the migration process as a whole.
This tutorial is divided into the following steps:
- Understand the WebSphere Commerce Migration wizard and how it aids in migrating the WebSphere Commerce server.
- Start the Migration wizard.
- Understand and perform database migration.
- Understand and perform application migration.
- Understand and perform Web server migration.