Before you start
Learn what to expect from this tutorial, and how to get the most out of it.
This tutorial shows you how to use WebSphere Portlet Factory's software automation technology to quickly develop complex portlet applications.
Specifically, you learn how to:
- Create and configure a Portlet Factory project.
- Create a new Portlet Factory model
- Add specialized database Builders to the model
- Use Builders to externalize the data
- Deploy the portlet to the portal
You should have at least introductory level skill in Java™, J2EE, and portlet development.
This tutorial assumes that you have installed and configured WebSphere Portal Version 5.1x and one of the editions of WebSphere Portlet Factory 5.12.0 with Eclipse. If you want to use Rational Application Developer see the Portlet Factory product documentation. Portlet Factory is a plug-in which you install into Eclipse.
If you have the products, but have not already installed Portlet Factory, you can follow the instructions in Appendix A.
You also need a data source named
jdbc/v5/sample which must be configured to
connect to the Sample database that ships with DB2.
Before you start this tutorial:
- Test your data source and make sure that you can connect to the Sample database.
- Make sure that your WebSphere Portal server is up and running.