Adoption Scenarios for IBM PureApplication System is an document with extensive information compiled to help you be successful with IBM PureApplication System. It endeavors to explain all work necessary to make use of the system, from taking delivery at the data center to using it to host production applications as cloud-enabled workloads. It explains this work in terms of reusable use cases and tasks - standardized procedures that can be combined and repeated as necessary to produce solutions customized to evolving needs. It does not document features of the product; rather, it documents how to use the product's features to produce successful outcomes. With this guidance, you and your organization will have the know-how to successfully achieve your goals predictably and reliably.
While this paper can be read alone, it is best understood as the third in a three-part series:
- Best practices for patterns adoption in IBM PureApplication System lays out a series of best practices for how to best adopt patterns into your organization to take best advantage of PureApplication System.
- Organizational structure in PureApplication System operations describes the transformative effect that PureApplication System can have on your IT organization, and which roles should be present to get the most out of the technology.
- Adoption Scenarios for IBM PureApplication System, this document, describes in detail which tasks the roles in the second article should carry out in order to implement the best practices described in the first article.
Adoption Scenarios for IBM PureApplication System is presented in three layers with the following relationships:
- Stories discuss the major reasons why an organization would use PureApplication System, defining goals that set the stage for describing how to use it. Each story leads to a set of use cases.
- Use cases discuss how to use the system in terms of broad scenarios. Each is a repeatable, governable process that takes a period of time to perform and involves multiple people performing coordinated tasks. This paper organizes them into role categories that correspond to the teams that will use the system.
- Tasks discuss repeatable units of work performed by individuals that correspond roughly to product features. This paper organizes them into roles that correspond to the types of users who use the system.
Your use of this document will depens on the level of detail with which you want to start:
- Executives should start with section 2 Stories, which gives an overview of the major functionality promised by PureApplication System. This leads to the use cases for how to use the system to achieve this functionality.
- Team leads should start with section 3 Use cases, specifically the subsection for the roles category corresponding to your team’s purpose. (For example, if your team is responsible for developing patterns, go to section 3.3 Workload.) These are plans of action for fulfilling the stories, and in turn compose collaborations of people performing individual tasks.
- Team members should start with section 4 Tasks, specifically the subsection for the role corresponding to your responsibilities. (For example, if you personally are responsible for maintaining applications while they are running, go to section 4.5 Application operations – Middleware admin.) The use cases are fulfilled by you performing your tasks collaboratively with others performing their tasks. By learning the tasks in your role, you will be prepared to perform your responsibilities within the team.
|Adoption Scenarios for IBM PureApplication System||PureAppAdoptionStoriesv021-F.pdf||764 KB|
- IBM PureApplication System product information
- IBM PureApplication System Version 1.1 Information Center
- PureApplication System Support Portal
- Best practices for patterns adoption in IBM PureApplication System
- Organizational structure in PureApplication System operations
- IBM developerWorks WebSphere
- Follow IBM developerWorks Cloud computing.
Get products and technologies
- Get involved in the developerWorks Community
Dig deeper into WebSphere on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Experiment with new directions in software development.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.