A key element in supporting a services oriented architecture is giving your business analysts the ability to implement complex logic using pre-built components. Enter composite applications, which are now supported in WebSphere Portal Version 6. Using well-designed, appropriate toolsets, your business professionals define the configuration and interaction of components (portlets, processes, and other code artifacts), and your designers determine how the user interface should be arranged on the glass. The result is a business driven model of application development, with investment by the whole team, through carefully constructed templates. See how our mythical "Funny Bikes" company puts templates and composite applications to work in a detailed example.
In this article
- Java developers craft the components
- Application designers create the application templates using the components
- The portal administrator deploys the templates
- Business users create composite applications based on the templates
WebSphere Portal V6 provides enhancements in many technical areas to help your company improve productivity, accelerate application and content deployment, and to increase responsiveness and reliability. Composite applications enable end users to translate their knowledge and skills into business value by assembling complex applications out of a set of components.
This article provides a starting point for understanding how templates and applications work together. You learn how to employ the key features in the composite application infrastructure including:
- Parameterization of components, by defining points of variability within template.
- Application level roles, which aggregate fine-grained portal access control roles to simplified roles representing application specific semantics.
- Membership, which lets the owner of an application instance assign individuals to application level roles.
- A set of public APIs, which component developers can use to leverage the capabilities of the application infrastructure.
|Article in PDF format||0608_stober-CompositeApps.pdf||652 KB|
|Code sample||compapp-samples.zip||51 KB|