- Get an understanding of how an SOA would fit in your organization in Understanding Enterprise SOA by Eric Pulier and Hugh Taylor (Manning Publications, 2006).
- Learn about SOA and Web services in detail in
Service-Oriented Architecture: A Field Guide to Integrating XML and Web Services by Thomas Erl (Prentice Hall, 2004).
- Get advice on SOA architecture and design in Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) Compass: Business, Value, Planning, and Enterprise Roadmap by Norbert Bieberstein, et al. (IBM Press, 2005).
- Read about developing Web services for your SOA in the IBM Redbook"Patterns: Service-Oriented Architecture and Web Services" (April 2004) by Mark Endrei, et al.
- Learn about modeling for your SOA in "Service-oriented modeling and architecture" (IBM developerWorks, November 9, 2004) by Ali Arsanjani.
- Learn about the seven levels of maturity on the path to SOA adoption in "Increase flexibility with the Service Integration Maturity Model (SIMM)" (IBM developerWorks, Sept 2005) by Ali Arsanjani and Kerrie Holley.
- Get tips on designing your Web services in "SOA realization: Service design principles" (IBM developerWorks, February 2006) by David J. N. Artus.
- Read about SOA maturity levels in David Linthicum's "What level is your SOA?" (SOA Web Services Journal, December 2, 2004).
- "A Methodology for Service Architectures" by Steve Jones and Mike Morris (OASIS, October 26, 2005) describes a SOA methodology.
- Read how to apply agile methods to an SOA in "Service-oriented agility: Methods for successful Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) development, Part 1: Basics of SOA and agile methods" (IBM developerWorks, July 2005) by Pal Krogdahl, et al.
- Learn the SOAD methodology in "Elements of Service-Oriented Analysis and Design" (IBM developerWorks, June 2004) by Olaf Zimmermann, et al.
- Read about the value of early-phase project efforts in "Improving time-to-market using SDL tools and techniques" (Computer Networks, vol. 35, pp. 667-691, 2001) by N.N. Mansurov and R.L. Probert.
- Learn how to improve SOA messaging performance and other SOA tools in "XXFire: The easy and simple way to develop Web services" (JavaWorld, May 1, 2006) by Shahid Ahmed.
- Read about the latest way to parse XML in "Does StAX Belong in Your XML Toolbox?" (developer.com, August 20, 2004) by Jeff Ryan.
- Find out what BDD is all about in "Business-driven development" (IBM developerWorks, December 2005) by Tilak Mitra.
- See how to deal with transaction issues in an SOA in "Transaction Processing in Distributed Service-Oriented Applications" (informit.com, November 24, 2004) by Jon Maron.
- Read about SOA governance issues such as monitoring and QoS in "Composite Applications and the Application Management Life Cycle" (June 2005) by Will Cappelli.
- Read a lively discussion about issues surrounding SOA in "Getting a little closer to SOA" (DotNetGuru, January 2004) by Fabrice Marguerie.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts.
Get products and technologies
- Download a free trial version of WebSphere Application Server Version 6.0.
- Build your next development project with IBM trial software, available for download directly from developerWorks.
- Learn how the WebSphere Service Registry and Repository helps increase the business value of your service oriented architecture.
- Participate in developerWorks
blogs and get involved in the developerWorks community.