This tutorial examined the fundamentals of SOA and covered the following topics:
- The value of SOA, how it can benefit an organization, and when it should and shouldn't be used
- SOA concepts, including services, processes, and the role of standards and service registry
- Basic SOA architecture, including more technical concepts, such as the role of web services, ESB, and business process choreography
- SOA management, why it's important, the QoS contract, and security
- Preparing for SOA, including the SOA benefits to business and IT, possible issues and drivers in both and how to handle them, readiness of organizations and how to measure it, and the entry points for SOA
I would like to express my gratitude to all those who helped during the different stages of this project. I am most indebted to Ahmed El-Maadawy for his continuous guidance and support. Special thanks to Ahmed Abbas, Ahmed El-Maadawy, Hala Aziz, and Salma El-Sheribini, who took time out of their busy schedules to review the tutorial and provide comments. I would also like to acknowledge the support of Ahmed Abbas during the writing process and the encouragement of Ahmed Fouad in the early stages of the project.