Before you start
This tutorial covers building applications that use the eBay® Web services SDK (Software Development Kit). Before you start, you'll need to install some software and create an eBay developer account. It might also be helpful to get an overview of eBay and the company's business model. Links in the Resources section provide some background.
This tutorial shows how to use the eBay Web services API (application program interface) through eBay's Java™ SDK. It's written primarily for developers who feel comfortable writing mid- to large-scale Java applications, although it can be understood by novice developers. Knowledge of Web services is helpful, but not required.
To run the examples or sample code in this tutorial, you'll need to do the following:
- Create an account on eBay.
- Create a developer account on eBay.
- Get your developer ID (devID), application ID (appID), and certificate ID (certID).
- Download and install the eBay Java SDK.
- Create a test user in the eBay Sandbox.