Open to students in Australia, 18 years of age and older. Do not enter if you are not located in Australia at the time of entry.
Official rules for the IBM Master the Mainframe Contest Australia 2012
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY FOR THE MASTER THE MAINFRAME COMPETITION (the "Competition")
- These terms and conditions of entry, including information on how to enter
and prize details (the "Terms"), apply to the Competition and
entry into the Competition is deemed to be acceptance of these Terms.
- The Sponsor of this Competition is IBM Australia Limited (ABN 79 000 024
733), 55 Coonara Avenue, West Pennant Hills, Sydney, NSW, 2125 (the "Sponsor").
- The Competition is open to students 18 years or older who are enrolled
full-time or part-time at a university in Australia and are residing in
Australia ("Eligible Entrants").
- Registration is open from 10 September 2012 until 10 November 2012 11:59PM Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) (the "Competition Period").
- System resources are finite for this Competition and will be allocated
on a first-come, first-served basis. If sufficient system resources do
not exist, the Eligible Entrant will not be able to compete in the Competition.
- To enter and be eligible to win, Eligible Entrants must, during the Competition period:
- qualify for participation in the Competition, by completing the online registration form available at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/university/students/contests/aus_mainframe/ ; and
- follow all instructions and complete the online registration form in its entirety, including providing the Eligible Entrant's full name, email address, and mailing address. This process does not constitute entry, but rather registration as a potential entrant.
- Once Eligible Entrants have completed the online registration form, the
Sponsor will provide a mainframe user ID (to enable students to complete
the tasks for the Competition) within 5 business days of registration.
- Eligible Entrants who are allocated system resources in accordance with
term 5 and who satisfy terms 6(a), 6(b) and 7, will be eligible to compete
- Contestants may only submit one entry in each part (Part 1, Part 2 &
Part 3) of the Competition. Students who have not registered for the contest
during the Competition Period will not be eligible to submit an entry to
the contest. Proof of enrolment may be required. Employees of IBM (including
regulars, contractors and interns) and judges of the Competition and the
immediate family members and household members of each are not eligible
to enter the contest.
- For Parts 1 and 2 of the Competition, Contestants submit entries by transmitting
data sets to an IBM user ID on the mainframe, as described in the contest
instructions. Contestants must submit an entry for Part 1 before they submit
an entry for Part 2, and must complete Parts 1 and 2 successfully before
they can progress to Part 3.
- To enter Part 3, after successful completion of Part 1 & Part 2, Contestants
must send an email to email@example.com during the Competition Period. If their
submissions for Parts 1 and 2 were correct, Contestants will receive a
new user ID for Part 3 within 5 business days. If their submissions for
Parts 1 and 2 were incorrect, they will receive an email asking them to
try again for Parts 1 and/or 2. Contest judges (as described in term#14)
will log into the student's account for Part 3 to verify the completion
of Part 3 tasks; no formal submission of datasets needs to be made.
- All entries must be submitted to and received by the sponsor during the
Competition Period. Entry is deemed submitted by the authorised account
holder of the email address used as the user name at the time of registration.
Authorised account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned
to the email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider,
or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the
domain associated with the submitted email address. If your registration
form is incomplete, you will not be eligible for the contest. The Sponsor
assumes no responsibility for computer system, hardware, software, network
program, or other errors, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether
human or technical in nature, in the transmission or receipt of entries
or registrations. Part 3 of the contest will be judged according to criteria
in term #6.
- IBM will not return the participants' entries. IBM will not provide individual
feedback regarding incorrect entries.
- Part 3 entries will be judged by a panel of qualified judges beginning
on or about 10 November 2012. Judges' decisions are final in all matters
relating to the contest and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Contestants will be judged on the number of predefined tasks they are able
to complete in order before the end of the Competition, as outlined in
Part 3 of the contest instructions. In the event of a tie, the winner will
be the entrant having the most complete crossword and clearest written
answers to all questions in Part 3 (the "Judging Criteria").
- The Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or suspend this Competition should
a virus, bugs or other causes beyond the Sponsor's control corrupt the
administration, security, or proper judging of the contest. If the Sponsor
detects harmful system activity, harmful network activity, or use of the
systems for activity beyond the scope of the contest, the Sponsor reserves
the right to remove system resources or to revoke user IDs from the contest.
The Sponsor is not responsible for technical failures of any kind, including,
but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone
lines or network hardware or software.
- Submission of an entry constitutes your acceptance of the conditions and
rules of the contest.
- Part 1 Prizes (100): One Part 1 Prize will be awarded to each of the first
one hundred Contestants to complete Part 1 of the contest correctly. The
prize is an IBM Travel Mug (approximate RRP of AUD$12.00 inclusive of GST).
The total prize pool for Part 1 is AUD$1,200.
- Part 2 Prizes (8): One Part 2 Prize will be awarded to the first 8 Contestants
to complete Part 2 of the contest correctly. The prize is a Google Nexus
7 tablet (8GB, 7 inch). (approximate RRP of AUD$250.00 inclusive of GST).
The total prize pool for Part 2 is AUD$2,000.
- Part 3 Prize (1): One Apple MacBook Air 11" with 1.7Ghz i5 processor,
4GB of RAM, and 128GB of Flash Memory (approximate RRP of AUD$1249 inclusive
of GST) will be awarded to the highest scoring student overall in Part
3 of the Competition. In the case of a tie, IBM will provide a tie breaker
question. Tie breaker questions will be provided until a winner is decided.
The total prize Pool for Part 3 is AUD$1,249.
- Prizes will be delivered within 28 days of announcing the winner in each
Part 1, 2 and 3.
- If the Sponsor is unable to contact any of the winners in Parts 1, 2 or
3, to claim fulfilment of the prize within 30 days of the announcement
of the winners, that winner will forego their prize in its entirety.
- In the event that the Sponsor is unable to supply a prize, the Sponsor
reserves the right to supply an alternative prize of similar monetary value.
- By accepting prizes, to the extent permitted by law the winners further
agree to release IBM and its subsidiaries, affiliates and related companies
and each of their respective officers, directors, employees and agents
(the "Contest Parties") from any and all liability, loss or damage
of any kind arising out of or in connection with the winners' participation
in this contest, or with respect to awarding, receipt, possession, use
and/or misuse of any prize, or to participation in the contest or in prize-related
activities. By accepting prizes, winners further acknowledge that the Contest
Parties have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable
for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied in
fact or in law, relative to prize or to any portion thereof, including
but not limited to its quality, merchantability, mechanical condition,
or fitness for a particular purpose.
- Except where prohibited and subject to the acceptance of a prize by the
winners, the Sponsor reserves the rights to use their names and images
in publications following the contest.
- Winners of Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 will be announced within 30 days of the conclusion of the Competition Period. Winners of Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 will be notified via email within 2 days of their announcement. Prizes are not transferable and cannot be taken as cash. Prizes will be delivered to the address specified in the winners' registration forms. Delivery only within Australia. The winners' names will be published on the website at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/university/students/contests/aus_mainframe/
- By submitting entries, the Contestant grants the Sponsor and its agents
of this contest the right to publish, use, adapt, sell, edit and/or modify
such entry (and electronic communications related to such entry) in any
way, in commerce, and in any and all media worldwide, including but not
limited to the Internet, without limitation and without compensation to
the Contestants. The Contestant also grants the Sponsor a worldwide irrevocable,
nonexclusive and royalty free right and license (with a right to sub-license)
to use, have used, copy, reproduce, transfer, modify and/or display any
information contained in their entry in whole or part and in any form without
compensation. Entries must be entrant's own original creations, must not
infringe on third party rights, must not have won previous awards, must
not have been posted on another web site prior to submission and must be
suitable for publication. Winners may be required to sign an additional
affidavit/license (except where prohibited) to this effect and provide
a moral rights consent in relation to all acts concerning their entries
in favour of the Sponsor and its licensees. Contestants agree to be bound
by the official contest rules.
- Winners must, at the Sponsor's request, participate in all promotional
activity (such as publicity and photography) surrounding the winning of
a prize in any of Parts 1, 2 or 3 of the Competition and they consent to
the Sponsor using their name and image in promotional material for an unlimited
time and without remuneration.
- All entries and registration forms become the property of the Sponsor.
All registration forms will be entered into a database and the Sponsor
may use Contestant's names and addresses for future competitions, promotional,
marketing and publicity purposes unless otherwise advised by the entrant
via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Contestants can request access to or correction
of their details by contacting the Sponsor via email to email@example.com. All
personal information will be securely stored by the Sponsor.
- At the Sponsor's discretion, Contestants may be required to submit source
code to substantiate results reported in the entry.
- The Sponsor accepts no responsibility for any tax liability incurred as
a result of an entrant participating in the Promotion. Contestants should
obtain independent tax and financial advice.
- IBM and the IBM Logos are trademark/s of IBM Corp registered in many jurisdictions
worldwide. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the web at
"Copyright and trademark information" at www.ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml
. Other company, product and services marks may be trade marks or services
marks of others. Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
Google is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2012 All Rights Reserved