Before you start
This series is for novices who want high-level overviews of various IBM software products. The modules are designed to introduce the products and draw your interest for further exploration. The exercises only cover the basic concepts, but are enough to get you started.
This tutorial will take you through the setup and usage of IBM Tivoli® Identity Manager Express (which will be referred to throughout this tutorial as ITIM) for centrally managing user accounts. For this tutorial, you'll focus on managing a Tivoli Directory Server LDAP user directory. The setup details described here will differ somewhat for the other systems you can maintain with ITM (DB2®, Lotus Notes®, Windows®, etc.), but the general process is the same.
The material in this tutorial applies specifically to version 4.6 of Tivoli Identity Manager Express.
In this tutorial, you'll use the ITIM Web interface to accomplish the following tasks:
- Define an ITIM service for interacting with the LDAP directory
- Manage LDAP accounts: retrieving existing LDAP accounts into ITIM, and deleting an LDAP entry
- Add a user into ITIM
- Configure the identity policy that governs how user IDs will be created in the LDAP directory
- Map user attributes to LDAP attributes
- Create an LDAP account for the new user
You don't need to be familiar with ITIM before you begin this tutorial; however, some basic knowledge of Tivoli Directory Server is recommended.
To follow the examples in this tutorial, you need Tivoli Identity Manager Express 4.6, including Tivoli Directory Server. (See the Resources section for a link.)