IBM expert Ori Pomerantz has been securing computer networks (and showing others how to do it too) since 1995. Pomerantz joined IBM in 2003 and since then, he has written classes on several IBM security products, including IBM Security zSecure™. He is also a co-author of the IBM Press publication Mainframe Basics for Security Professionals: Getting Started with RACF, 2007. In this whitepaper, "IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager for z/OS 1.1: Operator Commands", Pomerantz helps you learn how to implement operator commands to control IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager (ISKLM) for z/OS from the console of a mainframe. This task requires two prerequisites that you will discover:
- How to run Java™ programs from jobs
- How to create a started task to be able to issue commands to ISKLM
See Download for the full white paper.
What you will learn
Pomerantz covers the following instructions in this paper:
- How to run Java programs from JCL jobs. (JCL, or Job Control Language, is a scripting language used on IBM mainframe operating systems to instruct the system on how to run a batch job or start a subsystem.
There are two IBM JCLs: One that descends from DOS/360 and whose latest member is z/VSE and one that descends from OS/360 to z/OS. They share some basic syntax rules and a few basic concepts, but are otherwise different.) You'll learn about:
- The z/OS program that runs the Java virtual machine, JVMLDM
- The JCL procedure that contains configuration parameters that pertain to the JVM and are unlikely to change between jobs, JVMPRC as well as how to edit this
- An example JCL job that uses JVMLDM and JVMPRC to run a Java class, JVMJCL as well as how to edit it
- How to verify the JCL works, including changing the Java class
- Managing started tasks, JCL jobs that are stored in specific data sets. You'll learn to:
- Add a data set to the started task data set list
- Create a started task
- Test the started task
- Finally, you'll learn about the ISKLM started task files — the environment setup script ISKLMENV and the started task file ISKLM — and how to control ISKLM from a started task.
Explore the topics and technologies in this article:
- The IBM Security Key Lifecycle Manager for z/OS manages encryption keys for storage.
- Explore the IBM Security Framework for cutting-edge knowledge on IT security issues.
- Start your journey to implement IT security through pragmatic, intelligent, and risk-based practices at Security on developerWorks.
- Follow developerWorks on Twitter.
Get products and technologies
- Evaluate IBM products in the way that suits you best: Download a product trial, try a product online, or use a product in a cloud environment.
- Get involved in the developerWorks Community. Connect with other developerWorks users while exploring the developer-driven blogs, forums, groups, and wikis.
Dig deeper into Security on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Crazy about Security? Sign up for our monthly newsletter and the latest Security news.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.