Before you start
If you are a Web application developer, enterprise application developer, XML developer, or someone curious about new IBM technologies and tools, this series is for you.
This tutorial describes how to install and configure Rational Application Developer, DB2, and WebSphere Application Server. You will also configure these technologies to begin creating a Web application (which you'll finish in Part 2).
This tutorials assumes you have some understanding of Java technology, SQL, and XML. Knowledge of Web design is helpful, but not required.
In this two-part series you will be installing and using the following IBM products:
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software V7.0
- The IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere software
application helps Java™ developers create Java/Java Platform, Enterprise
Edition (J2EE), portal, Web, Web services, and Service-Oriented
Architecture (SOA) applications. This integrated development environment
helps you to rapidly design, develop, assemble, test, and
deploy these applications.
The Rational Application Developer visual tools can be leveraged to reduce manual coding by abstracting the J2EE programming model, making it easier for those less familiar with Java technology to complete development projects. It is designed to be a highly flexible development tool based on the Eclipse open framework, with a range of flexible installation options.
- DB2 Enterprise V9.0
- DB2 9 (formerly known as Viper) is a leading edge hybrid data server capable of supporting both relational and pureXML™ storage. pureXML provides seamless integration of XML with relational data that speeds application development, improves search performance with highly optimized XML indexes, enables information as a service, and is flexible because both SQL and XQuery can be used to query XML data.
- WebSphere Application Server V6.1
- IBM WebSphere Application Server V6.1 is the foundation of the IBM WebSphere software platform, and a key building block for a Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA). As the premier Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE™) and Web services application platform, WebSphere Application Server V6.1 delivers a high performance transaction engine that can help you build, run, integrate and manage dynamic, On Demand Business™ applications.