Record a test scenario
Performance tests are most often created by recording your manual interactions with the system under test. In this section of the tutorial, you will use the automated HTTP recorder to capture the scenario of interacting with the Adventure Builder sample application to construct a vacation package and purchase it.
The Adventure Builder application is already running in the online trial environment. All you need to do is connect to it through a Web browser while the recorder is engaged.
- Start the recorder by clicking Create a Test from Recording on the
toolbar . This opens the Create New Test From
Figure 2. The Create New Test From Recording window
- Select HTTP Recording and click Next.
- On the next page of the wizard, select Adventure Builder Performance Tests > Tests as the location to create the file.
PurchaseIslandAdventureas the test-file name and click Finish.
Figure 3. The Create New Test From Recording window, page 2
- The recorder is engaged and Internet Explorer is launched to the "Welcome to Performance Testing" page. Clear the cache of temporary files by selecting Internet Explorer Tools > Internet Options .... Under Temporary Internet Files, click Delete Files. Check Delete all offline content and click OK to confirm.
- Click OK to dismiss the Internet Options window.
- Launch the Adventure Builder application by entering
http://localhost:9080/ab/main.screeninto the address bar of Internet Explorer.
Now that the recorder is engaged, navigate the application just as you normally do.
- In the left navigation area of the page, click Island Adventures.
Figure 5. Island Adventures link
- Here you see an expanded list of island adventure trips. From the submenu on
the Available Adventure Packages page, click Maui Survival Adventure.
Figure 6. Maui Survival Adventure link
- This page shows you the options available for the package you have chosen. Click Select Package on the right side of the Adventure Package Details page.
- You are taken to the Package Options page. Here you can personalize your vacation package by changing the number of people, start date, number of days, etc. For now, just accept the defaults by clicking Set Package Options.
- On the Adventure Package Details page, click I Will Provide My Own Transportation.
- On the Adventure Package page, click Checkout.
- Let's keep it simple for now: on the Sign On page, click Sign In as a returning customer.
- On the Enter Order Details page, scroll to the bottom and click Submit.
- After a moment, you will be taken to the Checkout page. Here you should see
your order ID.
Figure 7. The Order ID link on the Checkout page
Note that your order ID will be unique and will not be exactly as shown here. Wait for several seconds after the checkout page loads, then check on the status of your order by clicking on the Order ID link.
- Once the Order Tracking Results page loads, close the browser. This will cause Performance Tester to begin generating the test based on the traffic it has captured.