Before you start
This Hello World tutorial series is for novices who want high-level overviews of IBM software products. The modules are designed to introduce the product and help you decide whether you want to explore it further. The exercises cover only the basic concepts, but they are enough to get you started.
This tutorial provides a high-level overview of IBM® Rational® Tester for SOA Quality. By following the step-by-step instructions, you get hands-on experience in creating a service-oriented architecture (SOA) Web service test, enhancing the test through the built-in data-driven techniques, and executing the test. This tutorial begins with the functional testing capabilities of Rational Tester for SOA Quality and concludes with a small preview of how one would perform performance testing of SOA applications with IBM® Rational® Performance Tester Extension for SOA Quality.
Here are the major steps that you will complete:
- Record a test which uses a temperature conversion Web service to convert temperatures between Fahrenheit and Celsius
- Edit the test so that it will run with multiple datasets and validate the returned data from the Web service
- Create a schedule for test execution which will run multiple iterations of the test
- Execute the test and examine the test log
- Examine the performance test results from the inluded sample performance test data
For this tutorial, you'll use a live Web service that was active as of the time of writing, April 2007. The Web service coverts temperatures from Celsius to Fahrenheit. Although simple, it serves well to illustrate all of the key concepts of SOA application testing.
After completing this tutorial, you will have gained the knowledge necessary to perform both functional and performance testing of SOA Web services without GUIs.
This tutorial is for testers new to testing SOA Web services. No prerequisite knowledge of SOA applications, Web services, or the tools is assumed or required.
To complete the exercises in this tutorial, install IBM Rational Tester for SOA Quality.
The exercises in this tutorial use a live Web service. Therefore, you need Internet access to complete all of the exercises.
If this is your first encounter with a developerWorks tutorial that includes demos (demonstrations), here are a few things that you might want to know:
- Demos are an optional way to see the same steps described in the tutorial. To see an animated demo, click the Show me link. The demo opens in a new browser window.
- Each demo contains a navigation bar at the bottom of the screen. Use the navigation bar to pause, exit, rewind, or fast-forward portions of the demo.
- The demos are 800 x 600 pixels. If this is the maximum resolution of your screen or if your resolution is lower than this, you will need to scroll to see some areas of the demo.