The IBM® Rational® DOORS® for ClearCase Interface is a bridge between the two products so you can have complete lifecycle traceability from requirements through configuration management. You can use the interface for several tasks, each of which are described further in this article:
- Importing data from Rational® ClearCase® into Rational DOORS
- Viewing new information
- Reviewing imported information to understand it better
- Using Rational DOORS traceability features
Importing data from ClearCase into Rational DOORS
A complete structure of a versioned object base (VOB) is read into a Rational DOORS module, creating a Rational DOORS object for each element, version, and branch. Properties, attributes, and labels are also imported.
The Rational DOORS for ClearCase Interface uses Microsoft Windows drive letters to select views. You can choose to use either the Dynamic views drive, normally M, or a view that represents specific dynamic or snapshot view. The Dynamic views drive allows you to select any view of any VOB without needing to choose a drive letter, thus simplifying the import operation
To import from ClearCase:
- Open the target Rational DOORS module.
- From the DOORSConnect menu, select ClearCase > Synchronize / Import, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1. DOORS – ClearCase synchronization menu
If you want to import from a dynamic view, make sure that the Drive field contains the correct drive. M: is the ClearCase default, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2. DOORS Connect ClearCase Import structure - DOORS
- Select the view in the View field.
- Select the VOB in the VOB field. The Path field shows the composite path that you created.
- Click Import to start the import operation, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3. DOORS Connect ClearCase Import Report - DOORS
Viewing new information
Rational DOORS provides many ways of viewing imported ClearCase information.
All of the relevant information can be put into a single screen. Any updated information is clearly shown, using the standard Rational DOORS change bars. After an import, change bars for new or updated items are set to red, but the rest of the objects remain unmodified, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4. IBM Rational DOORS view
ClearCase information can also be shown in graphics mode, where colors distinguish the different kinds of objects. Merge links are clearly shown if you click View> Show > Graphics Links, as shown in Figures 5 and 6.
Figure 5. DOORS Connect ClearCase Import Report - DOORS
Rational DOORS stores this information as a hierarchy of objects that contain the names of the elements, branches, and versions as headings, with check-in comments as the text. Figure 7 shows an example.
Figure 6. ClearCase version tree
When each item is imported, it is assigned a color for use in graphics mode. Table 1 provides a key to the color assignments.
Table 1. Color allocations
As Figure 8 shows, this helps provide instant visual recognition of the structure of your data.
Figure 7. Color-coded diagram, shown in DOORS
All user-defined ClearCase attributes are imported into Rational DOORS as string attributes with the same name, prefixed with CC Attr.
Attribute values are imported for all ClearCase elements, versions, and branches. If the values of attributes are subsequently changed in ClearCase, the values in Rational DOORS are updated the next time that the file is imported.
ClearCase labels are typically used to mark which files were included in a particular release. Labels have names, such as Patch_1.1, as shown in Figure 9.
Figure 8. Label shown as CC Label Patch 126.96.36.199 equals True
ClearCase uses hyperlinks to indicate where files have been merged. These can be imported into Rational DOORS as regular Rational DOORS links. This import process is optional, and it can be turned off by using the Create merge links check box, as shown in Figures 10, 11, and 12.
Figure 9. ClearCase version tree browser
Figure 10. ClearCase links merge report to DOORS
Figure 11. Graphical links merge report after importing links to DOORS
- Browse the Rational DOORS developerWorks page for links to technical articles and many related resources, and check the Rational DOORS Next Generation page on Jazz.net. For detailed instructions, explore the Rational DOORS Information Center.
- Explore the Rational software area on developerWorks for technical resources, best practices, and information about Rational collaborative and integrated solutions for software and systems delivery.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts focused on a variety of IBM products and IT industry topics.
- Improve your skills. Check the Rational training and certification catalog, which includes many types of courses on a wide range of topics. You can take some of them anywhere, anytime, and many of the Getting Started ones are free.
Get products and technologies
- Get the free trial download for Rational DOORS Web Access.
- Evaluate IBM software in the way that suits you best: Download it for a trial, try it online, use it in a cloud environment, or spend a few hours in the SOA Sandbox learning how to implement service-oriented architecture efficiently.
- Join the Rational DOORS forum to ask questions and participate in discussions.
- Get connected with your peers and keep up on the latest information in the Rational community.
- Rate or review Rational software. It's quick and easy.
- Share your knowledge and help others who use Rational software by writing a developerWorks article. Find out what makes a good developerWorks article and how to proceed.
- Follow Rational software on Facebook, Twitter (@ibmrational), and YouTube, and add your comments and requests.
- Ask and answer questions and increase your expertise when you get involved in the Rational forums, cafés, and wikis.
Dig deeper into Rational software on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Experiment with new directions in software development.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.