IBM® Rational® Insight performance management software helps decision-makers to better monitor software development projects that are critical to their organizations, thus to govern projects better, too. It does this by providing development intelligence from a combination of information sources. There are flexible options available to deploy Rational Insight for a large enterprise that needs to run information-intensive reports that use a large amount of aggregated data. This article will walk you through the key steps for installing Version 220.127.116.11 in an enterprise-scalable topology that uses IBM® DB2® Version 9.7 and IBM® WebSphere® Application Server 7.0.
Considerations for an enterprise deployment architecture
Regardless of the size of your enterprise, Rational Insight users in your organization need quick-running, responsive reports and dashboards.
Typical use considerations
To meet their needs, be sure to consider the following as part of your deployment planning:
- Average (and maximum) number of concurrent users that you expect to be using Rational Insight. Take into consideration any expected growth rates in your user community.
- Amount of data that typical reports will require.
- Variety and heterogeneity of data sources from which user reports will need to extract information.
Component installation considerations
Rational Insight provides the option to install and deploy various components across a distributed topology. In doing so, the deployment architect or engineer can address those considerations by capitalizing on the division and specialization of available computing resources.
There are three components that you can deploy onto separate machines:
- Data server (which contains the Data Warehouse and the Content Store databases)
- Extract, transform, and load (ETL) server
- Report server
Consider all of these factors in deciding how you will install these components:
- Weigh the option of installing the data server onto a separate machine if you expect your organization to store large amounts of data for reporting.
- If you expect frequent scheduled jobs and requests to extract large amounts of data from various stores, consider deploying your ETL server on a dedicated machine.
- Finally, if you believe you will have a large number of concurrent users making report requests, install your report server on a separate machine, as well.
For this article, assume that all three of those situations are factors, so you will install all three components on separate machines.
Rational Insight enterprise deployment architecture
End-user report authors can separately install a few Rational Insight client packages onto their desktops to design, generate, and schedule reports. (Note: This article does not provide a detailed description of the steps to install the client packages for the Rational Insight report authoring capabilities.)
Figure 1. Enterprise Rational Insight deployment topology
Figure 1 outlines the overall enterprise deployment topology that you will create, using a separate physical machine for each of the key Rational Insight components: the data server, the ETL server, and the report server.
From Figure 1, there are a couple of important items for your awareness:
- Each of the machines in this architecture uses a 64-bit operating system; however, Rational Insight v18.104.22.168 runs in 32-bit mode only. You will need to install 32-bit versions of all of the prerequisites for Rational Insight (for example, DB2 and WebSphere Application Server).
- The report server requires a permanent license, which is installed into and accessed from the IBM Rational License Key server v8.1.1 (or greater). You can install the Rational License Key server on a machine that is remote from the Rational Insight servers shown in Figure 1. You will not discuss further how to install and consume the licenses required by Rational Insight.
Before you start
To perform the steps in this article to achieve the target deployment topology shown in Figure 1 you will need:
- Three physical machines to create our enterprise deployment of Rational Insight
- An installation of DB2 Enterprise Server Edition v9.7 on the machine designated as the Rational Insight data server
- An installation of DB2 data server Client v9.7 (32-bit) on the machine designated as the Rational Insight ETL server
- An installation of DB2 data server Client v9.7 (32-bit) on the machine designated as the Rational Insight report server.
- Both the ETL server and report server require the DB2 data server Client for remote database communication with the DB2 Enterprise Server Edition hosted on the machine that will host the Rational Insight data server.
- The Rational Insight report server requires an installation of WebSphere Application Server v6.1 or v7.0 on the same physical machine. You have a number of options on how you wish to install the Rational Insight report server with WebSphere Application Server. You can:
- Have Rational Insight install WebSphere Application Server along with the Rational Insight report server component
- Install the Rational Insight report server in an existing WebSphere Application Server installation
- Indicate that you want to manually deploy the Rational Insight report server to WebSphere Application Server yourself
- In this article, you will select the first option and let Rational Insight install both WebSphere Application Server v7.0 and deploy the Rational Insight report server to WebSphere for us.
- In carrying out the steps of this article, you will assume that you have root user access for Linux/UNIX and Administrator user privileges for Windows.
Install the Rational Insight data server
You will use a DB2 Database Server, v9.7, to store two important databases that the Rational Insight data server uses:
- The Rational Insight Data Warehouse
- Stores aggregated data used by reports. This database is subject to scheduled refreshes to keep the information up-to-date.
You will also install and use a data warehouse that comes with sample data (SAMPLEDW) so that you can run some of the reports included with Rational Insight to get an idea of the valuable development intelligence that this tool provides.
- The Rational Insight Content Manager
- Contains metadata for the Rational Insight software's inner workings.
You are installing the data server on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Edition 5.5, using the root user.
- From the disk1 folder, run:
- ./launchpad.sh (for Linux or UNIX)
- launchpad.exe (for Microsoft Windows 32-bit OS)
or launchpad64.exe (for a Windows 64-bit OS)
- In the Launchpad window, click Install IBM Rational Insight.
- After the IBM Installation Manager launches, select IBM Rational Insight 22.214.171.124, and then click Next.
If Rational Insight 126.96.36.199 does not detect a full version of Installation Manager on your machine, it will attempt to install version 1.4.3 of a complete Installation Manager.
- Close running programs, disable or shut down any running or active antivirus software, and click Next.
- Select the I accept the terms in the license agreement radio button, and click Next.
- Either leave or change the default for the Shared Resources Directory value to a location that you prefer, and click Next.
- Leave or change the default for the Rational Insight Installation Directory value to a location that you prefer, and click Next.
- Select check boxes for any additional language translations that you need, and click Next.
- On the "Select features to install" page, choose all of the items under the Database Server package (and only those), as shown in Figure 2, and click Next.
Figure 2. Installing the Rational Insight database server packages
To validate the installation and run some of the available sample reports that Rational Insight provides, you are installing the Data Warehouse with the Sample Data component. You might also want to install it for training purposes or choose not to install it all. It will require 3 GB of space on your file system (on Linux).
- For "Fill in the configurations for the packages:"
- From the Installation mode drop-down menu, select Automatic: Create the databases for me.
- From the Database type drop-down menu, select DB2 9.7.
- In the "Database application location" field, enter the location of your DB2 installation". (The default location for a Linux installation of DB2 is usually /opt/ibm/db2/V9.7 and for Windows, it is normally C:\Program Files\IBM\SQLLIB.)
- Enter the DB2 administrator user OD and password. For Linux, the administrator user ID is normally
db2inst1, and for Windows, it is usually
- Click Next.
- On the "Review the summary information" page, click Install".
- You will receive notification that all of the packages installed successfully, click Finish.
- Close the Launchpad.
(Optional) Inspect DB2 to ensure that the SAMPLEDW, Data Warehouse, and Content Manager databases were created.
Install the Rational Insight ETL server
The Rational ETL server is the component that carries out these important data-warehousing functions:
- Performing extractions periodically from various data sources
- Transforming data for both storage and up-to-date, real-time reports
- Loading transformed data into the warehouse for future reports
You are installing the Rational ETL server on Windows with a user account that has Administrator privileges.
- Repeat the Installation steps 1-8 from the section "Installing the Rational Insight data server section.
- On the "Select features to install page, choose all of the items under the ETL Server package, as shown in Figure 3, and then click Next.
Figure 3. Installing the Rational Insight ETL server packages
Installation of the Data Manager client package will occur due to a dependency from the ETL server packages.
- On the "Review the summary information" page, click Install.
- After you receive notification that all packages were installed successfully, click Finish.
- Close the Launchpad.
Because Rational Insight and the IBM® Cognos® Business Intelligence server access DB2 through the call level interface (CLI), you will need to create a DB2 alias for the SAMPLEDW, Data Warehouse, and Content Manager databases. You can create these aliases in at least two different ways: either through use of the DB2 CATALOG DATABASE command or through the DB2 Configuration Assistant tool (see the Resources section in this article for links to both)
Install the Rational Insight report server
The Rational Insight report server component packages and extends he Cognos Business Intelligence server, and key packages deploy and run under a Java-based application server. This component hosts your deployed reports for your users to run.
Rational Insight license
The Rational report server component is also responsible for validating and enforcing license entitlement.
During the installation of the Rational report server component, you have the opportunity to provide your Rational License Key Server information. This information includes the hostname and port where the license server is running. You need to install the appropriate licenses for Rational Insight onto the server for successful license validation.
If you would like a dedicated Rational License Key Server installation to host your Rational Insight license, or you do not have an existing installation of the license server, Rational Insight also includes version 8.1.1 for you to install.
You are installing the Rational ETL server on Windows with a user account that has administrator privileges.
- Repeat the installation steps 1-8 from the Installing the Rational Insight data server section.
- On the "Select features to install" page, choose all of the items under the main Report Server package (see Figure 4), and click Next.
Figure 4. Installing the Rational Insight report server packages
- On the "Fill in the configurations for the packages" in the directory tree panel on the left, under the Common Configurations entry, you should see two entries: Common Licensing and Application Server.
- Select the Common Licensing entry.
- Here, you can enter the host name and port of one or more Rational License Key servers that will host your Rational Insight licenses. You can also leave these values empty and enter this information after the installation or at the end of your 180-day trial license, which will activate until you enter valid License server details.
- Click Next to advance to the Application Server leaf of this page:
- In the drop-down menu for choices of server installations, select WebSphere Application Server 7.0 (new installation).
- Leave the port that WebSphere will use as 9080 unless it poses a conflict.
- Check the Enable administrative security check box, and enter a user name and password to use to make any necessary future administrative changes within the WebSphere Administrative console.
- Click Next.
- On the Review the summary information page, click Install.
- After you receive a successful installation notification, click Finish.
- Close the Launchpad.
- Copy the following DB2 driver files from the DB2 data server client installation directory:
- Insight installation directory\cognos\webapps\p2pd\WEB-INF\lib
- Insight installation directory\AppServer\profiles\RationalReport\installedApps\hostnameNode01Cell\IBM Cognos 8.ear\p2pd.war\WEB-INF\lib
- The Rational Insight report server also requires that you repeat post-installation step 1 from the Installing the Rational Insight ETL server section.
- Launch the IBM Cognos Configuration utility by selecting Start > IBM Rational Insight > IBM Cognos 8 > IBM Cognos Configuration, and enter these values (also shown in Figure 5:
- Select Content Store found under Data Access > Content Manager.
- Select DB2 database for the Type entry.
- For the database server and port number, enter the hostname and port for the DB2 server that is located on the same machine as the Rational Insight data server.
- Change the value for the "Database name" field from CM to
RICMfor the Content Manager (on case-sensitive platforms, you might need to use lowercase: ricm).
- Save your changes by selecting File > Save.
- Close the IBM Cognos Configuration utility.
Figure 5. Setting the Content Store values
- Start the Rational Insight Server: Start > WebSphere > App Server v7.0 > Profiles > RationalReport > Start the Server. Wait 5-10 minutes for start-up and initialization to occur.
- Use the web-based IBM Cognos Administration tool to update the data source for the Data Warehouse to provide correct connection details for Rational Insight to reach the SAMPLEDW.
- Launch Rational Insight: Start > IBM Rational Insight > Open Rational Insight
- On the right hand side, within the IBM Rational Insight ribbon, click the Launch arrow and follow these instructions to update the connection string to provide the correct host and port information to the DB2 server that co-exists on the same machine as your Rational Insight data server.
Run sample reports
Your deployment of Rational Insight for the Enterprise is finished. Test out your distributed installation by running some of the available reports and dashboards that Rational Insight includes.
- Launch Rational Insight: Start > IBM Rational Insight > Open Rational Insight.
- Under the Public Folders tab, select Sample Report Definitions.
- Browse and run the reports under the Dashboard Reports or Data Warehouse Reports folder.
Figure 6 is the Defect Distribution across Component report, an example of the many reports Rational Insight provides that you can use. You can find this report by selecting Public Folders > Sample Report Definitions > Dashboard Reports > Project Level Reports.
Figure 6. The Defect Distribution across Component report
In deploying Rational Insight to your enterprise, consider installing various components across a distributed topology to capitalize on the division and specialization of available computing resources. This article showed, step by step, how to install Rational Insight components across three separate machines to allow certain functions of Rational Insight to benefit from exclusive use and specialization of hardware resources.
The author would like to thank Arthur Ryman for his review of this article.
- For more information, start with the Rational Insight page on developerWorks, which provides links to all related important information. For additional questions relevant to this article, you might also want to check the Enterprise-level deployment of Rational Insight user assistance.
- To learn how to create a DB2 alias, see either the CATALOG DATABASE command or the DB2 Configuration Assistant tool instructions.
- Visit the Rational software area on developerWorks for technical resources and best practices for Rational Software Delivery Platform products.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts focused on a variety of IBM products and IT industry topics.
- Improve your skills. Check the Rational training and certification catalog, which includes many types of courses on a wide range of topics. You can take some of them anywhere, any time, and many of the "Getting Started" ones are free.
Get products and technologies
- Download Rational Insight to evaluate it at no charge.
- Download a free trial version of other Rational software.
- Evaluate other IBM software in the way that suits you best: Download it for a trial, try it online, use it in a cloud environment, or spend a few hours in the SOA Sandbox learning how to implement service-oriented architecture efficiently.
- Get involved in the Performance Management with Rational Insight forum on developerWorks and the Using Insight forum on Jazz.net.
- Rate or review Rational software. It’s quick and easy.
- Share your knowledge and help others who use Rational software by writing a developerWorks article. Find out what makes a good developerWorks article and how to proceed.
- Follow Rational software on Facebook, Twitter (@ibmrational), and YouTube, and add your comments and requests.
- Ask and answer questions and increase your expertise when you get involved in the Rational forums, cafés, and wikis.
- Get social about thought leadership. Join the Rational community to share your Rational software expertise and get connected with your peers.