Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters overview
IBM® Rational® Lifecycle Integration Adapters connect Rational solution for Application Lifecycle Management (ALM) products to several third-party tools. Using these integration adapters enables you to continue to use your existing lifecycle tools with the added benefit of capabilities that are found in the Rational ALM products.
Each edition of Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters supports a distinct set of integration use cases for each particular tool.
The Standard Edition includes integrations for:
- HP Application Lifecycle Management (HP ALM)
- Atlassian® JIRA® issue tracking software
- Git version control system
Adapters in the Standard Edition are based on the open architecture of Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration (OSLC) standards. OSLC is an HTTP-based REST protocol that uses unique URLs to identify data so that you can link to resources in other products.
Linked data integration methods make it possible to access data directly from another product.
The Tasktop Edition provides adapters that integrate IBM® Rational® Team Concert™ and IBM® Rational® Requirements Composer with:
- HP ALM and Quality Center
- Atlassian JIRA issue tracking software
- Microsoft® Team Foundation Server
- Open source Bugzilla
- CA Clarity for Project and Portfolio Management (PPM)
- Serena Business Manager
Note that distinct HP ALM and JIRA adapters are included in both editions of Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters. The Tasktop Edition version of these adapters supports alternative use cases and customer workflow environments.
Benefits of Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters
Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters address the challenges that software delivery organizations face when practicing ALM in a heterogeneous lifecycle tools environment. Project managers, analysts, testers, and developers each realize particular benefits.
For project managers, Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters:
- Improve coordination across disciplines that use lifecycle tools from various sources.
- Use pre-established Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) solution lifecycle tools.
- Enable you to easily add Rational tools and select third-party tools into a software project with minimal impact to existing lifecycle tools.
- Use an integration technology that is based on open standards, which enable various commercial and open source lifecycle tools to coexist and interoperate.
- Enable you to gather simple metrics, such as test-to-requirement coverage and mean-time to resolve defects.
- Make it possible for team members to work across heterogeneous lifecycle tool environments.
With Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters, analysts find it easier to:
- Link requirement sets to associated test cases.
- Verify test case coverage across requirements.
- Stay informed about trade-offs necessary between capabilities, quality, and schedule.
Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters enable testers to:
- Understand which requirements are driving which test cases.
- Communicate test execution results to analysts and developers.
- Log defects in a timely manner to ensure bug fixes.
Developers working with Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters get:
- Better visibility into requirements that drive development milestones.
- Timely and effective communication of defects that is found by testers.
- Greater confidence of project delivery schedules.
Highlights of the Standard Edition
The Standard Edition includes several usability and performance enhancements, along with integrations for several third-party tools. This section describes each integration.
Rational Adapter for HP ALM
With the Rational Adapter for HP ALM, you can create associations between HP ALM and the Requirements Management application in the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management and Rational Team Concert resources.
With the adapter, you can establish and maintain these associations among product artifacts throughout the application development lifecycle.
Customize HP ALM projects
New and existing HP ALM projects require some customization to integrate with CLM projects. By customizing your HP ALM project workflow script and toolbar buttons, users can click a toolbar button in the Requirements, Test Plan, Test Lab, Manual Run, or Defect module to open the selected artifact in the HP adapter, open the associated Rational Requirements Management project dashboard, or open the associated Rational Change and Configuration Management project dashboard, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1. Toolbar buttons in HP ALM
You can download workflow code and follow the documentation to quickly customize projects.
Watch change between HP ALM requirements and Rational requirements
If a requirement in Requirements Management is changed, and you want to know if linked artifacts in HP ALM (such as test cases or requirements) are impacted and need to change, you can use suspect links.
For example, suppose you wrote a test case that is based on the content of a requirement. The requirement changes so the test case might need to change too.
You can set up a suspicion profile in the Requirements Management application to identify a set of link types, artifact types, and attributes to watch for changes.
When artifacts that match the profile criteria are changed, the linked artifacts are marked with a suspicion indicator. The suspicion indicator alerts you about the possible impact of the change.
Link and reconcile HP ALM requirements with Rational requirements
After you have linked Rational requirements collections or modules and HP ALM requirements folders, you can use the Rational Adapter for HP ALM to check whether each Rational requirement has a corresponding HP ALM requirement. You can then automatically generate and link any missing HP ALM requirements. You can repeat this procedure as new requirements are added.
Track HP ALM tests and requirements
HP ALM widgets can be added to a CLM dashboard (as shown in Figure 2) so that you can view HP ALM data alongside widgets for other Rational artifacts.
Figure 2. Requirements widgets for the adapter
These new widgets help you track HP ALM tests and requirements.
- Recent Test Runs: Shows a list of recent test runs for an HP ALM project.
- Favorite Requirements: Shows requirements that correspond to a specified HP ALM favorite.
- Suspect Requirements: Shows HP ALM requirements linked to suspect Rational requirements artifacts.
- Suspect Test Cases: Shows HP ALM test cases linked to suspect Rational requirements artifacts.
Find a test folder or requirements folder to link to a collection
HP adapter test and requirement selection dialogs now offer improved performance and capability. As shown in Figure 3, searches for specific artifacts can be scoped to a folder (and optionally its subfolders), and you can now browse the folders to locate your artifact.
Figure 3. Scope the search to find artifacts
Prefill a Rational Team Concert defect from an HP ALM defect or test instance
When you open an HP ALM defect or test instance in the HP adapter and choose to create a related change request or defect, the Rational Team Concert Create dialog opens, prefilled with the HP ALM information from the HP ALM defect or test instance.
Confirm updates to suspect test cases or requirements
When you update suspicious test cases or requirements, a Confirmation dialog now opens before the contents of your HP artifacts are overwritten. This helps prevent accidental loss of data in your HP artifacts.
Rational Adapter for JIRA
With the IBM Rational Adapter for JIRA®, you can use Atlassian® JIRA with the Collaborative Lifecycle Management. You can integrate with JIRA to submit defects from IBM® Rational® Quality Manager, track requirement implementation from Rational requirements management products, or assign tasks from Rational Team Concert. This functionality provides traceability across lifecycle data, encompassing both your Rational and JIRA users. Several usability and performance enhancements have been added to this release.
Add OpenSocial CLM gadgets to the JIRA dashboard
As shown in Figure 4, you can add OpenSocial CLM gadgets to the JIRA dashboard so that you can view JIRA data alongside widgets for other Rational CLM artifacts.
Figure 4. Add a gadget to the JIRA dashboard
Work with JIRA 6.1.x
The JIRA adapter supports JIRA 6.1.x. With the Rational Requirements Composer, Rational Team Concert, and Rational Quality Manager integration to Atlassian JIRA 6.1.x, you can collaborate better with developers, testers, analysts, and project managers.
Establish friend relationships from the JIRA adapter
You can use the JIRA adapter server administration interface to establish friend relationships among the JIRA application, Requirements Management, Change and Configuration Management, and Quality Management applications. You can add the location information for each of the CLM applications, and send a request to each CLM friend application from JIRA, as shown in Figure 5. Previously, establishing friend relationships could only be done from the CLM administration pages.
Figure 5. Add a friend
Set the reporter to the current logged in user
When you create JIRA issues from CLM, for example, a Related Change Request from a Rational Team Concert work item, a Create Link dialog opens and now defaults the Reporter field to the currently logged in user.
Rational Adapter for Git
With IBM Rational Adapter for Git you can link Git commits and Gerrit changes with Rational Team Concert work items. This feature provides traceability for developers and other project stakeholders to track progress for a work item. Links are viewable from the Rational Team Concert work item and from the associated change in Gitweb or Gerrit. Several usability and performance enhancements were added in this release.
Developers can continue to use their preferred Git client, such as EGit or command line, to commit and push their source code changes. Git adapter hooks configured in the team's shared Git repositories automatically establish links to Rational Team Concert work items that are referenced in the developer's commit message, such as "Fixing NullPointerException for bug 57." No installation or configuration is necessary in the individual developer's environment.
Deploy Gitweb or Gerrit additions and hooks
Scripts included with the Rational Adapter for Git make it easier to set up Gitweb and Gerrit. Scripts help you deploy the Gitweb additions and hooks, deploy the Gerrit additions and hooks, and register the Gitweb server and the Gerrit server.
Hide the Git adapter banner on unregistered projects
By default, the Git adapter banner is shown on all pages of a registered Gitweb or Gerrit server. You might have some Git projects that are not associated with Rational Team Concert project areas, and you do not want the Git adapter banner to show on those pages. Figure 6 shows how to hide the Git banner.
Figure 6. Hide the Git banner in Gitweb
A new rules file enables you to customize the pages on which the Git adapter banner shows.
To make it easy to show the Git adapter banner on all registered Git projects, a script is provided to gather the names of all registered Git projects and add them to a variable in the rules file.
Rename Git servers
If you need to move a Git server to a new host or change the host name on the same server, you can edit the Git server URL in the Git Server Connection page. This gives you flexibility in your server configuration and improves your enterprise manageability.
Additional features in all Standard Edition Rational adapters
These features apply to Rational Adapter for HP ALM, Rational Adapter for JIRA, and Rational Adapter for Git.
Track user-based licenses
With user-based licensing, you can track the number of users that are licensed to use the Rational Adapter for HP ALM or Rational Adapter for JIRA and view that information in a spreadsheet, as shown in Figure 7. The spreadsheet is included with the adapter to help you set up a report about user-based license usage.
Figure 7. Download spreadsheet option
For the Rational Adapter for Git, you can use a Client Access License (CAL), which is based on the number of users that are using the adapter. See Figure 8 for an example.
Figure 8. Entitled Client Access License
With CAL, you upload a license file directly to the IBM® Rational® Jazz™ Team Server where the adapter is installed. CAL is the default licensing method. A trial CAL is bundled with the adapter.
Access information about error messages
If you encounter an error message, you can find more information about it by searching the help system.
Access the latest support documents
You can view the latest information about software issues, including technotes, tips, and workarounds by searching the help system for RSS support information.
Collect information to send to IBM Software Support
The IBM Support Assistant Lite utility as shown in Figure 9 collects information about your adapter environment and stores the information in a zip archive file.
Figure 9. Collect data with IBM Support Assistant Lite
You can then send the archive file to IBM Software Support so that they can help diagnose and fix problems.
Supporting software updated
The environment and platform support was updated to later versions. Updates include new versions of HP ALM Quality Center, Atlassian JIRA, Gerrit, Git, Gitweb, and Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management.
Highlights of Tasktop Edition 1.1
The Tasktop Edition 1.1 includes additional features, which are described in this section.
Synchronize Rational requirements with HP ALM requirements
With the Rational Requirements Composer integration to HP ALM Quality Center, analysts can collaborate better with developers and testers. When you create requirements in Rational Requirements Composer, you can synchronize the corresponding folder structures in the HP Quality Center.
Synchronize CA Clarity tasks with Rational Team Concert work items
With the CA Clarity integration to Rational Team Concert, product and portfolio managers can collaborate better with developers. Portfolio managers can synchronize Clarity task attributes relevant to ALM concerns with corresponding work items in Rational Team Concert.
Access information about error messages
If you encounter a Tasktop Sync log code, you can find more information about it by searching for it in the help system.
Supporting software updated
The environment and platform support was updated to later versions. Updates include new versions of HP ALM Quality Center, Atlassian JIRA, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, and Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management.
Highlights of Tasktop Edition 1.1.1
The Tasktop Edition 1.1.1 includes some new features, which are described in this section.
Synchronize Rally with Rational Team Concert defects
With the Rally® integration to Rational Team Concert, developers across both tools can collaborate better. When you create stories or defects in Rally, you can synchronize them to corresponding work items in Rational Team Concert. This allows Rational Team Concert to be used for consolidated reporting purposes.
Synchronize Serena Business Manager tasks with Rational Team Concert defects
With the Serena® Business Manager integration to Rational Team Concert, developers who are using the Serena tools can collaborate better with developers and project managers who are using Rational Team Concert. When you create defects in Rational Team Concert, you can synchronize those defects to corresponding work change requests and tasks in Serena Business Manager.
Set the scope in Rational Requirements Composer to synchronize a specific collection
The existing adapter for Rational Requirements Composer is improved so you can specify what information to synchronize as well as support for the IBM recommended authentication configuration. If you group requirements in collections or folders, you can synchronize by using collections or folders.
Create a master integration mapping and apply it to many projects
You can use the new integration templates to create a master integration mapping and apply it across any number of projects. Administrators can manage their templates, keep track of what projects are using what templates, disassociate projects from templates, and override certain aspects of a template. These capabilities save you time and improve enterprise manageability.
Rename Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Integration servers
If you need to move a CLM server that supports Rational Team Concert or Rational Requirements Composer, you can use the server rename feature to change the URL of that server. This gives you flexibility in your CLM server configuration and improves your enterprise manageability.
Supporting software updated
The environment and platform support was updated to later versions.
- Learn the latest about the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters:
- Check the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters page on IBM developerWorks for links to product documentation, articles, videos, downloads, and other useful areas.
- Explore the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters Information Center for technical details. Review the product overview page, features and benefits, and system requirements.
- Read Using the Rational Adapter for HP ALM 60-day trial with the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management on Jazz.net (June 2013).
- Read Using the Rational Adapter for JIRA 60-day trial with the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management on Jazz.net (June 2013)
- Read Using the Rational Adapter for Git 60-day trial with Rational Team Concert on Jazz.net (June 2013)
- See the November 2013 announcement: IBM Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters v1.1.1 connect with additional third-party tools and improve enterprise manageability.
- Watch the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters videos and webcast.
- Learn more about the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management:
- Explore the Rational software area on developerWorks for technical resources, best practices, and information about Rational collaborative and integrated solutions for software and systems delivery.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts focused on a variety of IBM products and IT industry topics.
- Improve your skills. Check the Rational training and certification catalog, which includes many types of courses on a wide range of topics. You can take some of them anywhere, anytime, and many of the Getting Started ones are free.
Get products and technologies
- Download the free trial version of Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters.
- Download and evaluate the Rational Lifecycle Integration Adapters that you need, either the Standard Edition or adapters for HP ALM, Git, or JIRA.
- Evaluate IBM software in the way that suits you best: Download it for a trial, try it online, or use it in a cloud environment.
- Provide feedback on the Jazz.net discussion forum, you can give us direct feedback. Post a topic with the tags: integration, jira, hp, git, tasktop.
- Get connected with your peers and keep up on the latest information in the Rational community.
- Follow Rational software on Facebook, Twitter (@ibmrational), and YouTube, and add your comments and requests.
- Ask and answer questions and increase your expertise when you get involved in the Rational forums, cafés, and wikis.
Dig deeper into Rational software on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Keep up with the best and latest technical info to help you tackle your development challenges.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.