Before you start
This article explains how to use the CMVC Connecter to migrate source code data and to import defects and features from CMVC (Configuration Management Version Control) to IBM® Rational Team Concert.™ (See Resources for a link to more information about defects and features, as defined in CMVC.)
This article, the second of two parts, is based on the assumption that you have already prepared for the migration by following the "Prepare for migration from CMVC to Rational Team Concert" section in Part 1 and have the prerequisites specified there (click "View more content in this series" or see the Resources section for a link).
Install synchronization rules
Synchronization rules are defined to map attributes of defects and features from CMVC to Rational Team Concert. Follow these steps to install synchronization rules that are required for one-way import.
- Open Rational Team Concert Eclipse client.
- From the main menu, click Window > Show View > Other.
- From the Team list, select Synchronization Rules and click OK.
- From the Synchronization Rules view, select the project area, right-click, and select Import Synchronization Rules to open a window where you can create an external repository connection.
- Select Create new external repository connection >
Next, and enter these values (examples shown in Figure
1), and click Finish.
- Name: connection_name
- Connection info: firstname.lastname@example.org@59009
- User ID: atul
- Password: -------
- Project area: CMVC RTC Integration [from menu options]
- Disable automatic outgoing synchronization box not checked
Figure 1. Import synchronization rules
- Navigate to the etc-Rel1.1 folder (under Configuration), which contains the synchronization rules XML files for the one-way importer (see Figure 1). Select all files, and then click Open.
Figure 2. One-way synchronization rules files
- CMVCDefect rule is used for mapping CMVC defect attributes to Rational Team Concert defects.
- CMVCFeature rule is used for mapping CMVC feature attributes to a Rational Team Concert story.
- CMVC-Rational Team Concert user rule is used for mapping CMVC users to Rational Team Concert users.
Create a custom attribute and enumeration value
The default one-way synchronization rules may not contain all the attributes defined in the CMVC family. This section helps you to understand about how to create custom Types and Attributes and creation of enumeration attribute required for the import of defects/features from CMVC to Rational Team Concert.
Create the attributes and attributes having enumeration values as appropriate for the CMVC family selected for migration.
Create a custom attribute
- Open Rational Team Concert Eclipse client, connect to the project area and go to the process Configuration tab.
- In the configuration directory tree, select Project Configuration > Configuration Data > Work Items > Types and Attributes. Then select Defect from the Work Items Types and Attribute view, and click Add under the Attributes section (see Figure 3).
Figure 3. Types and Attributes view
- Type the name of the attribute, as well as the ID, and select the appropriate type from the drop-down menu (Figure 4).
Figure 4. Creation of custom attribute
Create a custom enumeration attribute
- Still under Work Items, click Enumerations, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5. Enumeration page
- Click Add to add the enumeration definition in the
Enter Enumeration ID pop-up window (Figure 6). For the symptom
attribute, as an example, type
symptomin both the ID and Name fields.
Figure 6. Enumeration definition window
Enumeration ID for the Prefix attribute for defect and feature must be defectPrefix and featurePrefix, respectively. Similarly, if CMVC family is configured with defectPriority and featurePriority attributes as different instances of the Priority attribute, there will be two different enumeration IDs for defectPriority and featurePriority.
- To associate the enumeration ID with Type, click Types and Attributes. Select Defect from Work Items Types, and click Add under the Attributes section (see Figure 3).
symptomas the name for CMVC attributes (just for this example), select its enumeration type from the context menu, symptom (Enumeration), as shown in Figure 7, and click OK.
Figure 7. Adding a custom attribute with a user-defined enumeration type
Figure 8. Adding an Environment enumeration and defining literals
- Similarly, the CMVC Release attribute can be mapped to the Found In attribute in Rational Team Concert. Add all CMVC release names manually in the Releases tab in the Rational Team Concert project area, as shown in Figure 9.
The Environment attribute on the CMVC side does not have a drop-down menu to select values. In some of the cases, CMVC users might need the Environment attribute values to be displayed as a drop-down list for a Rational Team Concert work item. This is possible if the Environment attribute is added as enumeration attribute in Rational Team Concert and mapped to the Environment attribute to CMVC, with all values for the Environment attribute added as enumeration literals for Environment in the Rational Team Concert project area.
Figure 9. Defining releases for the Found In attribute in the project area
Configure Defect and Feature synchronization rules
- Double-click CMVCDefect in the synchronization rule view, and click Add.
- In the Property Mapping window, select an item property (Attributes created in Rational Team Concert Project Area), specify the synchronization direction, and the select the external property (corresponding CMVC attribute name) as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10. Property mappings
- Click Add, continue mapping for all of the attributes, and then click OK and save the CMVCDefect synchronization rule.
- Similarly, add all of the CMVC attributes for the CMVCFeature synchronization rule, map it by using property mapping, and save your changes.
Import defects and features
- To start the Defect/Feature Importer wizard, click CMVC-Connector and then WorkItem >Defect/Feature Importer as shown in Figure 11.
Figure 11. Defect/Feature Importer
- Provide the details for the CMVC family and Rational Team Concert project area. Figure 12 displays the checklist window.
- Only after you check all of the check boxes as confirmation that the setup is finished, click Next to proceed.
Figure 12. Rational Team Concert Setup page for the Defect/Feature Importer
The Log Info page (Figure 13) accepts all of the logging options for the importer:
- Log Level: Select the appropriate log level from the drop-down list.
- Number of log files: Enter the number of log files that will be created before the logs are rolled over.
- Size of each file (in KB): Type the size of the log file that will be created. After this size is reached, a new log file will be created.
- Connector log folder path: Use the Browse button to select the folder path on the host machine. This location will be used to create logs.
Figure 13. Defect/Feature importer properties page
- On the Query Properties Page, enter the CMVC queries for defects and features. These queries need to be valid CMVC queries, for example: compName in (‘comp1', ‘comp2').
Figure 14 displays how to import a specific defect from CMVC to Rational Team Concert.
Figure 14. Query properties page
- On the Full Importer Properties page, set File Changeset Display as
True and Rerun as False (see
- File Changeset Display flag:Use the drop-down menu to set this value as True if you want to import the file change sets associated with the Defects / Features. Otherwise, set this as False.
- Rerun flag: Enable this property only if you want to rerun an import to correct the defects or features that are mismatched due to an "extra comments missing" error in audit tool results.
Figure 15. Importer properties
- Click Finish for to start importing defects and features from CMVC to Rational Team Concert.
Import source code from CMVC to Rational Team Concert
This section explains how to import source code from CMVC release types of level, track, and no track to Rational Team Concert.
- Click CMVC Connector in the main menu, and then select SCM > CMVC-Rational Team Concert SCM Importer.
- Next, in the SCM Import Configuration window, select Extract and import from CMVC repository and provide the path for the extraction directory, as shown in Figure 16, and then click Next.
This option extracts the source code from CMVC and creates a local copy in the extraction directory, and then imports from the local directory to Rational Team Concert.
Figure 16. SCM import configuration
- Create a repository connection, select the team area, and click Next.
- In the Log info page, provide the details as updated in Figure 13, and click Next.
- Provide CMVC family information, and click Next.
- Select the required CMVC release to import, as shown in Figure 17, and click Finish.
When you select multiple release names, stream name and levels options are disabled. Rational Team Concert will automatically have the respective stream name from the respective initial levels after import.
Figure 17. CMVC release selection
This article explained synchronization rules, creating custom attributes, importing defects/features, and source code from Configuration Management Version Control (CMVC) to Rational Team Concert using CMVC Rational Team Concert Connector.
- To learn more about Rational Team Concert:
- Find Rational Team Concert articles and links to many other resources on IBM developerWorks, and check the product overview page, features and benefits, system requirements, and the user information center.
- Check the Rational Team Concert page on Jazz.net.
- Watch the Using Rational Team Concert in a globally distributed team webcast or a demonstration of the Dashboards and reports, or listen to the podcast about IBM Rational Team Concert and Jazz.
- For more about CMVC:
- Visit the Rational
software area on developerWorks for technical resources and best
practices for Rational Software Delivery Platform products.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts focused on a variety of IBM products and IT industry topics.
- Attend a free developerWorks Live! briefing to get up-to-speed quickly on IBM products and tools, as well as IT industry trends.
- Watch developerWorks on-demand demos, ranging from product installation and setup demos for beginners to advanced functionality for experienced developers.
- Find out more about defects and features as defined in CMVC.
- Improve your skills. Check the Rational training and certification catalog, which includes many types of courses on a wide range of topics. You can take some of them anywhere, any time, and many of the "Getting Started" ones are free.
Get products and technologies
- Download Rational Team Concert from Jazz.net (requires registration).
- Download the connector file, CMVC-Rational Team Concert-Connector1.4GA.zip, from CMVC RTC Connector Community in Rational Asset Manager (requires registration, free).
- Evaluate IBM software in the way that suits you best: Download it for a trial, try it online, use it in a cloud environment, or spend a few hours in the SOA Sandbox learning how to implement service-oriented architecture efficiently.
- Check the Using Rational Team Concert forum on Jazz.net to join discussions or ask questions in the Jazz.net forum.
- Get social about thought leadership. Join the Rational community to share your Rational software expertise and get connected with your peers.
- Ask and answer questions and increase your expertise when you get involved in the Rational forums, cafés, and wikis.
- Rate or review Rational software. It's quick and easy. Really.
- Share your knowledge and help others who use Rational software by writing a developerWorks article. Find out what makes a good developerWorks article and how to proceed.
- Follow Rational software on Facebook, Twitter (@ibmrational), and YouTube, and add your comments and requests.