This article gives an overview of how to set up an IBM® Rational® ClearCase® client and the IBM® Rational Team Concert™ Eclipse client with the synchronization tool to integrate Rational ClearCase with Rational Team Concert. The systematic instructions help you import ClearCase UCM versioned object base (VOB) source codes into the Rational Team Concert source control management system by using the ClearCase Importer.
This article is based on the assumption that the ClearCase server is already with a UCM VOB with proper user/group access.
Be sure that you have the following ready on the ClearCase client machine to access the UCM VOB from the ClearCase server:
- Install the appropriate release area on the ClearCase client machine that is running Microsoft Windows, and make sure that the desired VOBs are accessible through a dynamic view.
- Identify the development stream to be imported.
Rational Team Concert prerequisites
The Rational Team Concert server used while preparing this article was an AIX machine installed and configured with Rational Team Concert Enterprise, Version 3.0.1. JTS.WAR and CCM.WAR files were installed on an IBM® WebSphere® Application Server, Version 7.0, with Fix Pack 22.214.171.124.
Rational Team Concert server
Configure these on the Rational Team Concert server:
- Create a Project Area using the scrum template.
- Include the members (users) in the Project Area (the user who is creating the synchronization stream, and the ClearCase synchronizer account).
- Assign Team Member or Scrum Master roles as needed.
Rational Team Concert Eclipse client machine
You need these configurations on the Rational Team Concert Eclipse client machine:
- On the same ClearCase client Windows machine, install the Rational Team Concert Eclipse client software.
- Install the ClearCase Synchronizer software and make a note of the ccctools path.
- The Rational Team Concert user ID should have a Developer license.
- The ClearCase Synchronizer account should have a ClearCase Synchronizer license.
Rational ClearCase and Rational Team Concert setup architecture
ClearCase and Rational Team Concert integration requires software configuration on appropriate hardware. The diagram in Figure 1 shows the setup used as the basis for this article.
Figure 1. ClearCase and Rational Team Concert setup
Import ClearCase data from the UCM stream
This section explains how to import files or folders from ClearCase UCM stream to Rational Team Concert.
- Open Rational Team Concert Eclipse client, and click File > Import.
The screen shown in Figure 2 will prompt you for input.
Figure 2. Import data from an existing UCM stream
- Select Import from an existing UCM stream, enter the
steam name along with project VOB (PVOB) name
Stream Name@\PVOB), and click Next.
- In the Import ClearCase Stream view, below ClearCase Storage Information, enter the storage path in the field labeled UNC path to a local share, and click Next.
Figure 3. ClearCase storage information
- In the Select Project or Team Area view, select the Rational Team Concert project from the directory shown, and then click Next.
Figure 4. Select project or team area
- In the Jazz Source Control Information section, update these fields:
- New Merge Workspace name
- Jazz synchronization user ID and password
- Rational Team Concert-ClearCase Connector software ccctools path (install location)
- Leave the remaining fields and check boxes with default values.
Figure 5. Update synchronization of the user ID and tool path
The Jazz user ID (Rational Team Concert user) must not be same as the Jazz synchronization user ID mentioned in Figure 5. The Jazz synchronization user ID should have a Rational Team Concert ClearCase Synchronizer license for Rational Team Concert.
- Select the files and folders from ClearCase and click Finish.
Importing the files and folders will take some time.
Figure 6. Select files to synchronize
The synchronization root in a UCM component VOB must be within a component.
- After the import is finished, click the Pending Changes tab, right-click the component, and accept the changes.
Figure 7. The Pending Changes tab with components
Deliver files from the workspace to a different Rational Team Concert stream
During import, the ClearCase development stream name reflects in the Rational Team Concert source control as the stream name by default. In addition, importing is a continuous process, and the same synchronization stream can be used until all of the required ClearCase data gets migrated to the Rational Team Concert source control management system. In case you delete the existing synchronization stream and are later required to import files and folders, create a new synchronization stream and complete the import. To avoid having multiple Rational Team Concert streams using the change flow target, you can select the desired Rational Team Concert stream to deliver the ClearCase data, as appropriate.
Every synchronization stream generates a new Rational Team Concert stream with the same ClearCase development stream name, appended with a time stamp.
Figure 8. Use the Change Flow Target option to select the stream
This article explained how to configure the Rational ClearCase and Rational Team Concert environments to integrate ClearCase data with Rational Team Concert. It covered how to import ClearCase data from UCM stream to a Rational Team Concert source control stream by using the ClearCase importer and how to move the imported component to the desired stream in Rational Team Concert.
- For more about Rational Team Concert:
- Check the supported operating systems, hardware, and software in Rational Team Concert system requirements.
- Check the supported operating systems, hardware, and software in Rational ClearCase requirements.
- Get the product documentation you need to get started from the Rational Team Concert Version 3.0.1 Information Center.
- Find articles and links to many other resources on the Rational Team Concert page on IBM developerWorks.
- Check the Rational Team Concert page on Jazz.net.
- Bookmark the Rational Team Concert Built-in Integrations, ClearCase Synchronizer and Importer section on Jazz.net.
- Watch the Using Rational Team Concert in a globally distributed team webcast or a demonstration of the Dashboards and reports, or listen to the podcast about IBM Rational Team Concert and Jazz.
- Visit the Rational software area on developerWorks for technical resources and best practices for Rational Software Delivery Platform products.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts focused on a variety of IBM products and IT industry topics.
- Attend a free developerWorks Live! briefing to get up-to-speed quickly on IBM products and tools, as well as IT industry trends.
- Watch developerWorks on-demand demos, ranging from product installation and setup demos for beginners to advanced functionality for experienced developers.
- Improve your skills. Check the Rational training and certification catalog, which includes many types of courses on a wide range of topics. You can take some of them anywhere, any time, and many of the "Getting Started" ones are free.
Get products and technologies
- Download Rational Team Concert from Jazz.net (requires registration).
- Try Rational Team Concert 3.0.1, integrated with Rational Quality Manager and Rational Requirements Composer, in the Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management sandbox.
- Evaluate IBM software in the way that suits you best: Download it for a trial, try it online, use it in a cloud environment, or spend a few hours in the SOA Sandbox learning how to implement service-oriented architecture efficiently.
- Join the Rational Team Concert discussions or ask questions in the Jazz.net forums.
- Rate or review Rational software. It's quick and easy. Really.
- Share your knowledge and help others who use Rational software by writing a developerWorks article. Find out what makes a good developerWorks article and how to proceed.
- Follow Rational software on Facebook, Twitter (@ibmrational), and YouTube, and add your comments and requests.
- Ask and answer questions and increase your expertise when you get involved in the Rational forums, cafés, and wikis.
- Get social about thought leadership. Join the Rational community to share your Rational software expertise and get connected with your peers.
Dig deeper into Rational software on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Experiment with new directions in software development.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.