This document will help small teams get up and running with IBM® Rational® change and configuration management.
In small teams, the critical constituent of change and configuration management like defect tracking is mostly implemented and executed using some specific tools. Change control implementations is usually manual or lightweight. Release and deployment is generally automated for small teams, but will be a custom implementation in a specific organization.
A classic scenario small team will typically consist of 10- 20 developers who are organizationally or geographically distributed. The preliminary change control roles which will exist are that of an Administrator / Build Manager and developers. The distribution will mostly be in a location or across locations in a particular geography.
A small team which has to be agile will have a few characteristics, and the document first addresses the alignment of small teams from an agility perspective. The document then enumerates the Unified Change Management (UCM) schema that comes "out-of-the-box" for the Rational Team Unifying Platform. Finally, the document specifies the components of a change and configuration management system addressed towards small teams which are agile.
The products addressed in this document are IBM® Rational® ClearCase® and IBM Rational ClearQuest®. The ClearCase sever will be a single-site installation. The ClearCase client will be a native client. This document does not address, but the user can use a sever for ClearCase Multisite®, ClearCase Remote Client and ClearCase if required in their specific execution of the change control system. The ClearQuest server is the regular ClearQuest server, and the client will be a native client.
Note: The integration addressed in this document will be an Eclipse™-based one. This document does not address, but the user can also use Microsoft® Visual Studio® and SQUID in their specific execution if needed.
|Article in PDF format||agile_configuration_V1.pdf||1.7 KB|
- Try Rational ClearCase V7.0. Evaluate Rational ClearCase V7.0 online without installing or configuring it on your own system. When you register for this online trial, you can access both Rational ClearCase and Rational ClearQuest installed into a combined environment.
- Read the IBM Rational ClearCase and IBM Rational ClearQuest Evaluation Guide, Part 1: Unified Change Management, as a guide to the online demo for CleaCase and ClearQuest.
- Online documentation for ClearQuest users and administrators is available at the IBM Software Information Center.
- Visit the Rational software area on developerWorks for technical resources and best practices for Rational Software Delivery Platform products.
- Browse the technology bookstore for books on these and other technical topics.
Get products and technologies
- Visit the Rational ClearCase area on developerWorks for articles and tutorials on ClearCase.
- ClearQuest users and administrators can find more resources in the ClearQuest section of the developerWorks Rational zone, including hooks, Eclipse plug-ins, product documentation, articles and whitepapers.
- Download IBM product evaluation versions and get your hands on application development tools and middleware products from DB2®, Lotus®, Rational®, Tivoli®, and WebSphere®.
- Participate in the Rational ClearCase forum on developerWorks. Post your ClearCase questions and comments, and share your thoughts, ideas, and solutions with other users. To participate by email rather than on the Web, subscribe by sending a note to: email@example.com.
- Check out the ClearQuest discussion forum on developerWorks Rational.
- Check out developerWorks blogs and get involved in the developerWorks community.