Purpose: The attached archive provides a complete implementation of the UML profile for either RSM or RSA--see the Resources section for information about this profile. The plug-in as implemented provides the following capabilities:
- SoftwareServices.epx - an implementation of the UML Profile for Software Services, this will be installed into RSA so that it may be applied to your models.
- Service Design Model.emx - a template model that may be used to create new models with the software services profile applied. This template also contains a basic model structure and a library of reusable model elements. The template will appear in the list of model types when you select File > New > UML Model in either RSM or RSA.
- Retail Example Service Model.emx - an example that was used during the development of the RUP for SOA update (see Resources) to demonstrate the use of the profile. This is available within the samples gallery in either RSM or RSA.
Note: This Plug-In requires RSA version 188.8.131.52 and will not work with previous versions.
RSA Version: Version 184.108.40.206
Supported: Yes, by IBM
Copyright and licensing information: Copyright © IBM Corporation, 1987, 2005
Last Modified: May 2005
You can download the Plug-In from the Download section below. The downloaded zip file, com.ibm.rational.softsvc.zip, contains the RSA plug-in. You should add this to your RSA installation using the standard Software Updates > Find and Install mechanism.
|RSA Plug-in||softsvc.zip||126 KB||HTTP|
- The article, UML profile for software services, (developerWorks, April 2005)
describes the UML profile for software services, a profile for UML 2.0 which allows for the modeling of services, service-oriented architecture (SOA), and service-oriented solutions.
- The latest RUP plug-in, RUP for SOA Plug-In V1.0, can be found on the List of RUP Plug-Ins page.
- Get the evaluation version of Rational Software Architect from the Trials and betas page.
- For technical resources about Rational's products, visit the , developerWorks Rational content area. You'll find technical documentation, how-to articles, education, downloads, product information, and more. For specific information about Rational Software Architect, visit the RSA technical resources page.
- You can read more about UML 2.0 at the UML Resource Center.
- Ask questions about Rational Software Architect in the
Rational Software Architect, Software Modeler, Application Developer and Web Developer forum.
Simon Johnston works in the CTO organization of IBM Rational software and is responsible for the business-level tooling strategy. He has undertaken a number of standards-related activities for both Rational Software and now IBM in the area of XML (W3C Schema working group), Web Services (RosettaNet architecture team) and Modeling (OMG UML and OCL teams). Simon has also written articles on the subjects of business modeling, software modeling and SOA and is interested to see where and when these threads will combine.