The IBM® Rational® Development Tools for OSGi Applications help you build enterprise applications that benefit from the modular and dynamic approach version control, and integration of third-party libraries that the OSGi applications framework provides.
You must have the following software installed to use the OSGi development tools:
- Eclipse Helios Version 3.6.2 Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers package. For information on installing this package, see the Software requirements section.
- Java version 5 or higher.
The IBM Rational Development Tools for OSGi Applications help you build software using a complete, dynamic component model:
- Create and edit OSGi bundles, composite bundles, bundle fragments, and applications.
- Import and export OSGi bundles, composite bundles, bundle fragments, and applications.
- Convert existing Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) web, Java Persistence Application (JPA), plug-in, or simple Java projects into OSGi bundles.
- Edit OSGi bundle, application, and composite bundle manifest files.
- Create and edit OSGi blueprint configuration files.
- Edit OSGi blueprint binding configuration files.
- Diagnose and fix problems in your bundles and applications using validation and quick fixes.
For more information on the development tools for OSGi applications, consult the documentation (click Help > Help Contents > Developing OSGi applications).
Support for creating bundles from third party JAR files and including or depending on these bundles in OSGi applications.
Not supported. IBM provides this tool "as-is."
There are no additional processor or memory requirements for installing the IBM Rational Development Tools for OSGi Applications in the Eclipse Helios v3.6.2 package, Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers.
Before you install the tools, you must have the Eclipse Helios v3.6.2 package, Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers installed.
To install Eclipse Helios v3.6.2:
- Download Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers from the Eclipse Helios V3.6.2
- Select Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers.
- In the Download links section, select your operating system and download the archive file to your temporary directory.
- Decompress the archive file.
Installing the IBM Rational Development Tools for OSGi Applications
- Start Eclipse by double-clicking eclipse.exe in your installation directory.
- In the Workspace Launcher dialog window, type the name of your workspace and then click OK to open Eclipse.
- In the main menu, click Help > Install New Software.
- In the Install dialog box, click Add to add a new repository location.
- In the Location field of the Add Repository dialog box, type http://public.dhe.ibm.com/ibmdl/export/pub/software/rational/OSGiAppTools and then click OK.
- Select OSGi Application Development in the list of available software, and then click Next.
- On the Install Details page, click Next.
- Read the license agreements, and then click I accept the terms of the license agreements, and click Finish.
- In the Security Warning dialog box, click OK to accept the unsigned content.
- In the Software Updates dialog box, click Restart Now to restart Eclipse.
Uninstalling the IBM Rational Development Tools for OSGi Applications
To uninstall the tools:
- Start Eclipse.
- From the main menu, select Help > Install New Software.
- In the Install dialog box, click the What is already installed? link.
- In the Eclipse SDK Installation Details dialog box, under the Installed
Software tab, hold down Ctrl and then click the following features:
- OSGi Application Development Tools
- OSGi Application Development Tools UI
- OSGi context-sensitive help
- OSGi Help documentation
- Rational Development Tools for OSGi Applications help documentation
- Click Uninstall.
- Click Finish to remove the features from Eclipse.
These samples help you learn about and explore the key features of these Rational development tools. You can download the Enterprise Bundle Archive (EBA) files from the Download section.
The Hello World sample is an introduction to using the tools. This sample demonstrates how to create a simple OSGi application that comprise an OSGi web bundle that contains a servlet and an activator that identifies the life cycle of the bundle.
The Counter Service sample demonstrates how to declare services in the blueprint file of a bundle, which makes it accessible to other bundles in the application. The OSGi application is composed of an OSGi web bundle that contains a servlet that accesses a service that is provided in another bundle project.
To import the sample EBA files:
- Download OSGi_Sample_EBA_files.zip to a temporary directory.
- Decompress the archive file.
- In Eclipse, click File > Import to open the Import dialog window.
- Expand OSGi and select OSGi Application EBA. Click Next.
- Click Browse and select the sample EBA file from your temporary directory. Click Finish.
After the samples are imported into your workspace, you can explore the sample code or install the EBA files in your runtime to deploy the OSGi applications.
The IBM Rational Development Tools for OSGi are still in development, so your suggestions and feedback will help us to understand which features are the most important to you and what needs to be changed or improved. Please take a moment to visit the IBM Rational Development Tools for OSGi Applications forum to submit your feedback.
About the author
This excerpt is brought to you by the Rational staff at IBM developerWorks.
|OSGi Sample EBA files||OSGi_Sample_EBA_files.zip||14KB|