This paper discusses how IBM® Rational® ClearCase® and IBM Rational ClearQuest® software can help organizations manage System i application development in increasingly complex environments.
Adobe Acrobat® Reader® is required to view this document.
The world of the IBM System i™ platform has changed dramatically. Not long ago, the management of System i source code and resources was relatively simple. The Data Description Specification (DDS) was used for database files, IBM 5250 screen layouts and reports. Developers created code with the Report Program Generator (RPG), Command Language (CL) and Common Business Oriented Language (COBOL) programs, and stored the code in source files in System i libraries on the IBM eServer™ i5 platform. This source code could then be compiled into executable objects or programs and copied or moved into test libraries. Upon completion of integration testing, the new objects were deployed on a production machine or into a production environment. Developers all worked in a single location and walked to teammates’ cubicles to coordinate on issues pertaining to the deployment of new or modified applications.
Today, the System i development process is complicated by globalization, the rapid pace of technology innovation and new ways of doing business. Companies must now be able to demonstrate that their computer systems meet the requirements of regulatory bodies and the compliance demands of auditors. And their information technology (IT) and systems organizations must address the technical challenges of integrating new technologies, operating systems and distributed development environments.
This paper discusses how IBM Rational® ClearCase® and IBM Rational ClearQuest® software can help organizations manage System i application development in increasingly complex environments that include:
- Multiple languages, technologies and even open source or platform-based environments
- Projects that involve in-house, offshore and third-party developers located in various sites around the world
- Compliance with numerous regulatory and industry mandates
Click the link below to the download this whitepaper.
|whitepaper (PDF)||RCC_RCQ_iSeries.pdf||139 KB||HTTP|
- Learn more about how to benefit from IBM Rational products and technologies in
The Rational Edge e-zine.
- Browse for books on these and other technical topics at the
Get products and technologies
- To learn more about IBM Rational products, visit the developerWorks Rational zone. You'll find technical documentation, how-to articles, education, downloads, product information, and more.
- Find more resources for ClearCase users and administrators in the ClearCase area of the developerWorks Rational
zone, including articles and whitepapers, plug-ins, scripts and triggers; and links to training, discussion forums, product documentation and support.
- ClearQuest users and administrators can find more resources in the ClearQuest section of the developerWorks Rational zone, including ClearQuest hooks, Eclipse plug-ins, product documentation, articles and whitepapers.
- Find more resources for build and release engineers and managers in the Build Forge area of the developerWorks Rational
zone, including articles and whitepapers, links to training, discussion forums, product documentation and support.
Check out developerWorks
blogs and get involved in the developerWorks community.
Participate in the developerWorks Rational discussion forums.