Book I: PowerPC User Instruction Set Architecture
- This Book defines the instructions, registers, and so on, typically used by application programs (for example, Branch, Load, Store, and Arithmetic instructions; general purpose and floating-point registers).
- All Book I facilities and instructions are non-privileged ( are available in problem state).
Download the PDF (870KB)
Book II: PowerPC Virtual Environment Architecture
- This Book defines the storage model (caches, storage access ordering, and so on) and related instructions, such as the instructions used to manage caches and to synchronize storage accesses when storage is shared among programs running on different processors.
- All Book II facilities and instructions are non-privileged, but they are typically used via operating-system-provided library subroutines, which application programs call as needed. For example, to acquire or release a lock an application program _could_ use the appropriate Book II instructions directly, but instead typically calls a library subroutine to provide this service.
Download the PDF (233KB)
Book III: PowerPC Operating Environment Architecture
- This Book defines the privileged facilities and related instructions (address translation, storage protection, interruptions, and so on).
- Nearly all Book III facilities and instructions are privileged. (Those that are non-privileged are described also in Book I or II, but only at the level needed by application programmers. For example, the description of the System Call instruction in Book I gives only the instruction format and the fact that the instruction calls the system to perform a service. Book III provides the complete description, including information needed by operating system programmers writing the corresponding service routines.)
Download the PDF (585KB)
Additional information may be provided in other books that describe a particular processor implementation. Such books may describe approaches to obtaining the best performance, the results produced when a software error is encountered, and so forth.
|PowerPC Book I||pa-archpub1.zip||870KB|
|PowerPC Book II||pa-archpub2.zip||233KB|
|PowerPC Book III||pa-archpub3.zip||585KB|
- See the Power Architecture Book V2.02.
- Get the latest front-page Power Architecture headlines every weekday on the on the developerWorks Power Architecture home page (in a "standard" size browser window, the news items appear in the lower-right hand corner).
- For a comprehensive listing of all industry events of interest to the Power Architecture community, please see the Power Architecture technology zone's event listings.
- Keep abreast of all the Power Architecture-related news: Subscribe to the Power Architecture Community Newsletter.
Dig deeper into developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Keep up with the best and latest technical info to help you tackle your development challenges.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.