Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee pointed out that the critical Human Computer Interaction functions are of greater importance to a site visitor than any other aspect of a Rich Internet Application (RIA). Foremost among these are the elements used to exchange information and data between client and server. Every aspect of the process must be geared to achieving Berners-Lee's system of well-defined data, collaborative structures and optimized use of hardware available. This requires the proper organizing of the sites basic structures so that everything, every object, and its components, are easily accessed and utilized.
HTML5 provides the semantic structure required to properly develop and manage your site. The new tags and attributes increase the ability to compartmentalize and dissect your pages more efficiently. This demo provides a basic overview of HTML5 with CSS3.
- HTML5 fundamentals, Part 1: Getting your feet wet (developerWorks, May 2011) is the first in a four part series about HTML5.
- Create modern Web sites using HTML5 and CSS3 (developerWorks, March 2010) is a multicomponent HTML5 and CSS3 article.
- In New elements in HTML 5 (developerWorks, August 2007), you will find information for several of the new elements in HTML5.
- The html5 Doctor website provides an excellent view of the current trends in HTML5 today.
- The W3Schools.com HTML5 Tag Reference provides an extensive list of the HTML5 tags, definitions, and examples.
- The WHATWG website provides detailed information for the HTML5 specification.
- The W3Schools.com CSS3 Reference provides extensive information on CSS version 3.
- The Web development zone specializes in articles covering various web-based solutions.
- Stay current with
developerWorks technical events and webcasts.
- Follow developerWorks on Twitter.
Get products and technologies
- Try IBM software for free. Download a trial version, log into an online trial, work with a product in a sandbox environment, or access it through the cloud. Choose from over 100 IBM product trials.
- Create your developerWorks profile today and set up a watchlist on HTML. Get connected and stay connected with developerWorks community.
- Find other developerWorks members interested in web development.
- Share what you know: Join one of our developerWorks groups focused on web topics.
Grace Walker, a partner in Walker Automated Services in Chicago, Illinois, is an IT consultant with a diverse background and broad experience. She has worked in IT as a manager, administrator, programmer, instructor, business analyst, technical analyst, systems analyst, and Web developer in various environments, including telecommunications, education, financial services, and software.