As a follow up to my entry from a couple of days ago on the pledge of 500 patents for open source use, I'm including a few links to comments on that announcement. These are "middle of the road" discussions, though we've certainly seen a broad range of response. In my opinion, that response has been overwhelmingly positive and most of it very thoughtful. (For sheer volume, see Groklaw and Slashdot.) One of the side effects of the announcement that we hoped to stimulate was debate and discussion and that has certainly started. Unlike some of my other postings of links, I'm not going to comment on these: it's up to you to decide if they are right on or out in left field. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of these,...
- IBM shares patents with open source developers
- IBM's 500 Patents: Gift or gauntlet?
- IBM's Patent Pledge Ripples Open Sourcers
- Will IT Vendors Set Up a Patent Trust?
- IBM Gives Patent Access: Other Motives Seen in Open-Source Handout
- Patently Open Source
- IS IBM'S PATENT MOVE A MOVE AWAY FROM PROPERTY RIGHTS?