You should take this tutorial if you want to learn more about the password management and recovery features in Lotus Domino 6 and want to learn how to implement these features in your own Domino environment. The tutorial assumes you understand how to navigate Domino Administrator 6 and have a working knowledge of the Domino server. If you're new to Domino, refer to the Tutorial resources at the end of this tutorial for more information on Domino administration.
You'll find the tutorial easier to follow if you have a Domino 6 environment installed, configured, and running.
Lotus Domino 6 includes many password management and recovery features that make it a secure environment for collaboration. This tutorial explores and reviews the various password management and recovery features in Lotus Domino 6. Our discussion is broken down into logical segments, each providing you a brief overview with steps for implementing the feature in your own environment. Some of our discussion deals with how these features can be used to assist a fictitious health care company, HealthCo, address its security requirements. The goal is to introduce each feature and demonstrate how it can assist you in keeping your Domino applications secure, while accommodating your own requirements and security practices. This tutorial presents and reviews the following topics:
- Overview of Domino security -- Provides a brief introduction to Domino security including a review of the different levels of Domino security, the purpose of ID files, and an explanation of an ID file's contents.
- Using multiple passwords for IDs -- Provides details of how to use multiple passwords to prevent one person from controlling a server or certifier ID.
- Understanding password verification -- Surveys the basic concepts behind password verification and shows how to implement this feature.
- Understanding password quality -- Presents the basic concepts of password quality with an overview of how a password's quality is computed.
- Understanding ID and password recovery -- Provides the details of how to configure, implement, and utilize the password recovery feature in Domino 6.
Throughout the tutorial, each of the password management and recovery features is explored in detail. In order to complete each task, version 6 of the Domino server and Administrator will need to be installed and configured. If you don't have Domino 6 installed, reference the following resources:
- Lotus Domino Administrator 6.0.1 trial version
- Lotus Domino Server 6.0.1 for Windows trial version
- Lotus Domino Server 6.0.1 for Linux trial version