Review the entire LPI exam prep tutorial series on developerWorks to learn Linux
fundamentals and prepare for system administrator certification.
- At the LPIC Program, find task lists,
sample questions, and detailed objectives for the three levels of the Linux
Professional Institute's Linux system administration certification.
- In "Basic tasks for new Linux developers" (developerWorks, February 2006),
learn how to open a terminal window or shell prompt and much more.
Get documentation for XFree86 version
4.5.0 and other versions on the XFree86 site.
Get documentation for the X Window
System Version 11 Release 6.9 and 7.0 on the X.Org site.
The X.Org Modular
Tree Developer's Guide will help you build the X.Org releases from
tutorial describes the Xft font mechanism introduced in XFree86 4.0.2.
- kde.org is the home of the K Desktop Environment and KDE documentation, including The kdm Handbook and KDE for System Administrators.
- The GNOME
Foundation is the home of the GNOME Desktop Environment and the Gnome Display Manager Reference Manual.
Documentation Project has a variety of useful documents, especially its
- The Concise Guide to Xfree86 for Linux (Que, 1999) provides more detail on installing, configuring and using
- LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell (O'Reilly, 2001) and LPIC I Exam Cram 2: Linux Professional Institute Certification Exams 101 and 102 (Exam Cram 2) (Que, 2004) are references for those who prefer book format.
Find more tutorials for Linux developers in the developerWorks Linux
Stay current with developerWorks technical events and Webcasts.
Get products and technologies
- Download XFree86 from The XFree86 Project, Inc.
- Download X.Org from The X.Org Foundation.
- Download IBM trial software directly from developerWorks.
- Participate in the discussion forum.
Read developerWorks blogs,
and get involved in the developerWorks community.