If you download any software from this web site please be aware of the
Warranty Disclaimer and Limitation of Liabilities.
/ MD5 ... accumulated patch, recommended (2006-03-28)
/ MD5 ... single patches, recommended (2006-03-28)
This tarball contains the initial kernel 2.6.16 patches for the Linux on System z9 and zSeries "October 2005 stream".
(Note that the original "October 2005 stream" was based on kernel 2.6.13.)
Kernel 2.6.16 contains a lot of new functionality, of which - from the
Linux on System z9 and zSeries perspective - the following items are of
- oprofile now supports recording of call graphs for in kernel profiling sessions
- In addition to the already existing crypto algorithms, modules that make use of CPACF acceleration for AES-128 and SHA-256 are provided
- "V=V QDIO Pass-thru" exploits z/VM 5.2 "QDIO Enhanced Buffer-State Management" (QEBSM)
for OSA, HiperSockets, and FCP on z9-109, z990, and z890 -- allowing a
Linux guest to initiate QDIO operations directly to the applicable
channel, without interception by z/VM.
Linux QDIO recognizes (and reacts appropriately) when required hardware- and z/VM-support (QEBSM) are available
- Support for GuestLAN Sniffer for use with z/VM 5.2 tracing capability on a guest LAN or VSWITCH
- The following device drivers are being deprecated (no longer recommended/supported):
- IUCV network device -- Note that the IUCV-infrastructure is not being deprecated
- common I/O layer (cio):
- Multiple Subchannel Sets (MSS) support on z9-109 allows an increased number of subchannels
- Storage - ESCON/FICON:
- DASD device driver now supports
- DIAG250 interface to DASD devices for 64 bit guests (requires z/VM 5.2 support)
- special request flag "REQ_FAILFAST" to return requests immediately, in case the device is not operational
- Storage - FCP:
- zfcp was adapted to exploit the Fibre Channel (FC) transport class
with FC specific transport attributes in sysfs for hosts and target
This patch delivers kerntypes for the vanilla kernel 2.6.16 kernel as
well as bug-fixes, which make the above mentioned kernel items
recommended features of the "October 2005 stream".
Everybody should apply this patch.
To create the complete linux kernel sources, the following
patches need to be applied in sequence:
linux-2.6.16.tar.gz (from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6)
+ linux-2.6.16-s390-base-october2005.diff (IBM)
Back to top