The exercises in this article give you practice in:
- Creating and using variables
- Using arithmetic operators
- Using assignment operators
- Using comparison operators
- Creating and using arrays
- Creating loops and iterating arrays
- Creating and using functions
Exercise 1: Creating variables
Variables are the building blocks for any programming language. They provide a way to store and retrieve information later in a script. For this exercise:
- Use the
varkeyword to create a variable and retrieve the variables value using the
Exercise 2: Using operators
- Use an arithmetic operator to perform a basic mathematic operation and use it as a variable value.
- Use comparison operators to determine the relationship between variables and their values.
Exercise 3: Creating an array and using a loop to iterate its values
You use arrays to store multiple values in a single variable. You can use loops to iterate arrays and access their values. For this exercise:
- Create an array and assign values to it.
- Create a for loop and use it to iterate the array.
Exercise 4: Creating functions, accepting parameters, and returning values
Functions contain script that can be used to handle a specific task. You can use functions to execute their contained script and run their tasks at any time. For this exercise:
- Structure a custom function named
- Include a function parameter named
- Increase the value of the parameter and return the new value.
Follow these solution steps to check your work.
- Stay current with developerWorks technical events and webcasts focused on a variety of IBM products and IT industry topics.
- Follow developerWorks on Twitter.
Dig deeper into Web development on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Keep up with the best and latest technical info to help you tackle your development challenges.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.