Before you start
This short tutorial demonstrates how to deploy the IBM Gift Center for the Madisons starter store on a Madisons-based extended site. WebSphere Commerce V7 Feature Pack 1 ships the Gift Center solution along with a sample SAR, which demonstrates the Gift Center capability on the Madisons starter store. However, you can deploy the sample store on a Madisons-based extended site with some changes to the bootstrap data for the IBM Gift Center solution.
You need to be familiar with WebSphere Commerce and SQL.
- WebSphere Commerce V184.108.40.206
- WebSphere Commerce Feature Pack 1 for Version 7
- IBM Gift Center for Madisons starter store SAR.
1 to 2 hours
The IBM Gift Center for Madisons starter store is a reference application that is deployed as an add-on to a Madisons starter store to showcase the Gift Registry functionality, which was delivered in Feature Pack 1 of WebSphere Commerce V7. The limitation of this reference application is that you cannot deploy it in on an extended site store model. This tutorial provides instructions on how to deploy this reference application on a Madisons-based extended site.
This tutorial assumes that:
- A Madisons-based extended site is already published and functional with one or more e-sites created.
- Feature Pack 1 of WebSphere Commerce V7 has been installed and the foundation feature is enabled. Follow the steps in Enabling WebSphere Commerce foundation if it is not enabled already.
- The IBM Gift Center for Madisons starter store is downloaded
(refer to the System
requirements section) and copied to:
- Developer Edition: Copy the downloaded SAR file to
WCDEInstallDirpoints to the installation directory of the WebSphere Commerce development environment. Create the folder structure
WCDEInstallDirif it does not exist.
- Enterprise or Professional Edition: Copy the
downloaded SAR file to the
WC_installdirpoints to the installation directory of WebSphere Commerce. Create the folder structure
WC_installdirif it does not exist.
- Developer Edition: Copy the downloaded SAR file to the
Publishing the IBM Gift Center for Madisons starter store
To publish the Gift Center on the MadisonsStoreFrontAssetStore:
- Open the WebSphere Commerce Administration console.
- Log on using your WebSphere Commerce administrator ID and password.
- From the Administration console Site/Store Selection page, select the Site radio button and click OK. The Site Administration Console home page displays.
- From the menu at the top, select Store Archives > Publish. The Store Archives page displays, listing the SAR files that are available for publishing.
- From the store archives list, select the check box next to
GiftCenterMadisons.sar, as shown in Figure 1. Click
Figure 1. Select the GiftCenterMadisons SAR for publish
- The Parameters page displays. From the Target Store list,
select MadisonStorefrontAssetStore, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2. Select the target store
- The Summary page displays, listing the store archive and store
selected. It also displays the location to which the store archive
will be published. After reviewing the summary information (Figure
3), click Finish.
Figure 3. Review the summary
- A confirmation dialog displays, telling you the number of the publishing job. Click OK. The Publish Job Status page displays. The publishing state is reflected in the Publish Status column.
- Click Refresh to update the status. Once publishing is complete, the Publish Status column displays "Successful".
- Log out of WebSphere Commerce Administration console by selecting the Logout link at the top left of the page.
Preparing the Gift Center bootstrap entries for the extended site
The tutorial provides an SQL file in the Download section of the tutorial, which contains the bootstrap entries to be loaded. Perform the following steps to load the bootstrap data:
- Download the SQL file into your local file system.
- Run the following SQL statement to identify the Store ID of the
extended site on which the Gift Center needs to be deployed:
SELECT STOREENT_ID FROM STOREENT WHERE IDENTIFIER='<Your e-site store name>'
<Your e-site store name>with the name of your e-site.
- Open the downloaded SQL file in a text editor and replace all
occurrences of the text
$storeId$with the store ID value retrieved from the step above. Save the file.
- Run the SQL file on the WebSphere Commerce database to update the boot strap entries for the Gift Center. Ensure that all the statements run successfully.
- Restart the WebSphere Commerce server.
Repeat the above steps for all the e-sites that require the Gift Registry functionality.
Verifying the deployment
- Launch the extended site on which the Gift Center is deployed
using the following URL:
- Create a gift registry following the instructions given in IBM Gift Center for the Madisons starter store.
This concludes the steps to deploy the Gift Registry capability on the Madisons-based extended site.
In this tutorial, you learned how to deploy the IBM Gift Center for the Madisons starter store reference application on a Madisons-based extended site. With this information, you can enable the Gift Registry feature on your online store, which is based on the extended site store model.
- WebSphere Commerce V7 Information Center: Gift Center overview
- IBM Gift Center for the Madisons starter store reference application
- WebSphere Commerce discussion forum
Dig deeper into Commerce on developerWorks
Get samples, articles, product docs, and community resources to help build, deploy, and manage your cloud apps.
Keep up with the best and latest technical info to help you tackle your development challenges.
Software development in the cloud. Register today to create a project.
Evaluate IBM software and solutions, and transform challenges into opportunities.