The purpose of this document is to outline the scenario in which IBM Cognos Business Intelligence (BI) reports fail after being deployed to IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x. The document will also provide the steps required to fix any report errors that are caused by this particular scenario.
The scenario definition and fix description outlined in this document only apply to IBM Cognos BI Report Studio, Query Studio, Power Play10 Studio and Analysis Studio reports which use an IBM Cognos PowerCube as a data source that has been deployed to IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x. In addition, the IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x product language has to be set to Swedish, Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Traditional Chinese or Dutch.
This document assumes that the IBM Cognos BI content has been backed up using a tried and tested method prior to any attempt to run the IBM Cognos Dynamic Report Specification updater utility.
After successfully deploying content into IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x, reports that used to run now present the user with a QE-DEF-0030 Expression parsing error message alongside the QE-DEF-0359 The query contains a reference to at least one object <ObjectName> that does not exist message.
The following section provides a checklist outlining all the conditions that cause reports to fail due to this scenario.
- Reports fail with the QE-DEF-0030 and QE-DEF-0359 error.
- Reports that fail have been deployed to IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x.
- Report that fail use a package against an IBM Cognos PowerCube as a data source.
- The IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x product language is set to Swedish, Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Traditional Chinese or Dutch.
The error message will present itself to the user’s screen in addition to being written into the cogserver.log file located within the <install_dir>\logs directory.
In order to determine whether or not the report in question has been deployed into IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x:
- Open the report using IBM Cognos Report Studio.
- From the Tools menu, select Copy Report to Clipboard.
- Open a text editor such as Notepad or vi and paste the report specification.
- Within the report specification search for the text RSU-SPC-0093. If the text is found, the report in question was deployed into IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x.
In order to determine the package that a report is using:
- Locate the report in question within the IBM Cognos Connection portal.
- Click on the Properties icon of the report to display the Set properties screen.
- Within the Set properties screen, on the bottom left hand side, locate the Package: section to get the name of the package being used by the report.
- Locate the package being used by the report in question within the IBM Cognos Connection portal.
- Click on the More… link for the package in question to display the Perform an action screen.
- Within the Perform an action screen, click on the View the package data sources... link to display the data source associated to the package in question.
- From IBM Cognos Administration, click the Configuration tab, locate the data source on the Data Source Connections screen, click on the data source name and then click on the Set properties button. Click the Connection tab and ensure the Type: field is set to IBM Cognos PowerCube.
In order to determine the product language setting for the user reporting the problem:
- Have the user login to the IBM Cognos Connection portal.
- Within the IBM Cognos Connection portal, have the user select the My Preferences link from My Area Options dropdown to display the Set preferences screen.
- In the Set preferences screen, the product language is specified in the Product language: field within the Regional options section.
Only if all four of the conditions discussed in the previous section are present can the scenario be fixed using the following steps.
- Ensure that a current, tried and proven backup exists of the IBM Cognos BI 10.2.x content. It is important that a backup exists as the fix uses the IBM Cognos Dynamic Report Specification Updater utility to perform a mass change on the affected report specifications within the IBM Cognos Content store.
- Download the IBM Cognos Dynamic Report Specification Updater (DRU) 10.x Utility using the following link: https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24021248
- Follow the installation instructions for the DRU, being sure to update the batch file to point to the appropriate Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
- After the JRE update to the batch file, launch the DRU utility by double clicking the batch file.
- Once the presented with the initial DRU screen you can familiarize yourself with the utility by clicking the Help button to bring up the user’s guide. After reviewing the DRU user’s guide, connect to your IBM Cognos BI environment by un-checking the Anonymous check box and supplying the correct IBM Cognos BI dispatcher URI, username, password and namespace before clicking the Connect button at the top right of the window.
- Once a successful connection has been established, the Content Folder pane located in the left middle of the window screen will display the IBM Cognos BI content.
- Within the Transformations pane, use the Load button to browse to the transformation file specific to the product language being used. The following table describes the attached transformation file and what product language they should apply to.
Product Language Transformation File Name Swedish Swedish.xml Spanish Spanish.xml Russian Russian.xml Czech Czech.xml French French.xml Traditional Chinese TraditionalChinese.xml Dutch Dutch.xml
- Once the desired transformation has been loaded, the Selected Transformations & Order of Execution pane will display the transformation details.
- Within the Content Folder pane, select the objects to which the transformation is to be applied.
- Within the Execution pane, click on the Search button to search the previously selected object scope for transformation matches. When the search completes, the number of matches found will be displayed in the Log Output pane.
- If the number of matches is greater than zero, use the desired Execution settings to apply the changes to the matched report specifications. Be sure to review the DRU documentation on the functionality of the Execution settings.