In this tutorial, you have:
- Explored the models and motivations behind Maven 2's design
- Gained an understanding of the all-important Maven POM
- Observed how the Maven repository and coordinate system simplifies complex dependency management
- Worked with Maven 2 for quick and simple projects
- Learned how Maven 2 can help in larger, multimodule projects
- Experimented with the Maven 2 Eclipse Plug-in
- Had a first-hand look at how Maven 2 can facilitate part of your daily project build and source/binary management activities
As software-development collaboration evolves, so will Maven evolve and adapt to its needs. As the backbone build facility for most large open source projects, it is guaranteed to benefit from continuous suggestions for improvement from the developer communities.
Learning Maven 2 need not be difficult, once you understand its motivation and the challenges that it aims to overcome. As a build tool, Maven 2 is usable productively even by rank beginners developing projects in an isolated silo. Start using Maven 2 in your own development project or join one of the many open source development communities, and soon you too will be influencing the course toward which Maven 2 will evolve.