- Java technology homepage: The official Java site has links to all things related to the Java platform, including the Java language specification and Java API documentation.
- Java 6: Learn more about JDK 6 and the tools that come with it.
- Javadoc homepage: Learn the ins and outs of using the Javadoc, including how to use the command-line tool and how to write your own Doclets that let you create custom formats for your documentation.
- New to Java technology: Check out this compendium of developerWorks resources for beginning Java developers.
- 5 things you didn't know about ...: This developerWorks series provides short introductions to lesser-known (but often introductory) Java programming tips and lore.
- "Try to catch me: Does exception handling impair performance?" (Tony Sintes, JavaWorld, July 2001): This article provides introductory information about exception handling in Java programs.
- "Exception: Don't get thrown for a loss" (Tony Sintes, JavaWorld, February 2002): Understand the difference between checked and runtime exceptions.
- "Regular expressions simplify pattern-matching code" (Jeff Friesen, JavaWorld.com, February 2003): Explore this extended introduction to regex.
- "Diagnosing Java code: Java generics without the pain, Part 1" (Eric Allen, developerWorks, February 2003): This is the first part of an article series introducing generics in Java syntax.
- "Java technology, IBM style: A new era in Java technology" (Chris Bailey developerWorks, April 2010): Read about upcoming changes in the official Java SE 7 release, as well as IBM value-adds focused on improving Java platform performance, reliability, and serviceability.
- Refactoring: Improving the Design of Existing Code (Martin Fowler et al., Addison-Wesley, 1999): This book is an excellent resource for learning how to write cleaner, more maintainable code.
- Design patterns: Elements of reusable object-oriented software (Erich Gammaet al., Addison-Wesley, 1994): Learn more about the Factory pattern, one of 23 design patterns that continue to define contemporary software development.
- Eclipse IDE project resources from IBM: Learn what Eclipse is good for, why it is important, how you can get started with it, and where to learn more about it.
- The Java Tutorials: Get a comprehensive introduction to the Java language.
- The developerWorks Java technology zone: Hundreds of articles about every aspect of Java programming.
Get products and technologies
- JDK 6: Download JDK 6 from Sun (Oracle).
- Eclipse: Download the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers.
- IBM developer kits: IBM provides a number of Java developer kits for use on popular platforms.
- Get involved in the My developerWorks community. Connect with other developerWorks users while exploring the developer-driven blogs, forums, groups, and wikis.