Working with an Informix data source in Cognos BI
In the previous section, you have installed, configured, and started the Cognos BI Server. It is now time to create an Informix data source and see it in action.
If it is not already done, set up the client/server connectivity for the Informix data source by following the instructions given in the section titled Configuring client/server connectivity on the Cognos Server
- As shown in Figure 23, bring up the Cognos BI Administrator home page in a web browser and click the Administer IBM Cognos content link.
Figure 23. Administer IBM Cognos content
- As shown in Figure 24, click Configuration.
Figure 24. Data source configuration
- Click the New Data Source icon (cylinder icon) on the top right corner, as shown in Figure 25.
Figure 25. New data source selection
- You will see the new data source wizard. Specify the name and description of the new data source, and then click Next.
- Choose IBM Informix as the type, and specify an isolation level (for example, cursor stability), and then click Next.
- You are asked to specify the following connection string related
parameter values, also shown in Figure 26.
- Informix database name: Name of your Informix database,
- Host name: Name or IP address of the database server host computer.
- Server name: Name of your Informix server instance on the
Informix server, for example
- Collation sequence: Leave it blank
- Service: Port number or service name of SQLI protocol (olsoctcp protocol) port for the database instance on the database server.
- Informix database name: Name of your Informix database, for example
Figure 26. Connection string properties
- As shown in figure 27, select the User ID and Password check boxes. If you prefer, also check Create a signon that Everyone group can use.
- Enter the database User ID and Password that you would like to use to connect to your Informix data source.
- Click Test the connection.
- Click Test again.
Figure 27. Testing the database connectivity
Recommended practice: It is not a good practice to use
Informix user for this. You can create a separate account such as
gsdbusr on the database server, grant
necessary database and table-level privileges (such as connect,
resource privileges), and use that database user account.
- As shown in Figure 28, if the database connection string parameters are valid, you should see that the database connection test was successful. Click Close.
Figure 28. Verify the connection test results
- Click Close again, and then click Finish.
- You have successfully created an Informix data source connection. You can now use this data source connection to connect to the Informix database data mart.
The following are common reasons why the connection test would fail.
- Not able to connect to the server (i.e. host) where the database is hosted. Check the connectivity with a ping command at the command prompt.
- Source database is not a UTF8 database.
- Not setting DB_LOCALE to en_us.utf8 while defining the SQLHOSTS information.
- Incorrect database connection properties such as incorrect dbname, server, portnumber, and others.
- Incorrect db username and/or password.
- Dbuser doesn't have privileges to connect to the database
- You have installed 64-bit CSDK or IConnect software on the Cognos BI Server. Client software has to be 32-bit.
- You have installed 3.70 version of the CSDK / IConnect software. As of the date this tutorial was published version of CSDK / IConnect has to be 3.50.
Take the right action to correct the problem and try again.
It is now time to see how an Informix data source can be used in Cognos BI. To demonstrate this, from Cognos Framework Manager, you are going to connect to the Informix data source that was created in the previous section. Cognos Framework Manager allows you to model data and publish packages.
Install IBM Cognos Framework Manager on the Cognos BI server. Installation of Cognos Framework Manager is very simple and it isn't covered in this tutorial.
See it in action:
- Bring up the Cognos Framework Manager user interface by clicking All Programs -> IBM Cognos 10 -> IBM Cognos Framework Manager.
- Click Create a new project using Model Design Accelerator.
- As shown in Figure 29, type the name of the new project and click OK.
Figure 29. Creating a new project
- Select the design language for the project and click OK.
- Select the Informix data source that was previously created (gsdb) and click Next.
- As shown in Figure 30, select all the tables in the gosales schema and click Continue.
Figure 30. Selecting the tables
- The Framework Manager will import all the selected tables. You are presented with the Model Design Accelerator Info screen. Click Close.
- As shown in Figure 31, you will now see all the tables imported into the Model Design Accelerator. Save and close to exit.
Figure 31. List of tables