Installing and configuring Informix software on the Informix server
In this section we walk you through the procedure to install and configure Informix software on the remote host which will be hosting the Informix datamarts / data sources.
Make sure that the following software is installed on the Informix server / node1 before installing Informix server software:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 for x86 64-bit
- Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
This tutorial assumes that you have decided on the edition and version of Informix Server software that you will be installing on the database server and you also have access to the software installation media.
Read the release notes, machine notes, and fixed and known defects list, which are on your product media and in the information center.
- Launch the IDS installer program by double-clicking the setup.exe file in the IIF folder of the installation media.
- From the welcome screen, click Next.
- Read and accept the license terms and conditions, and then click Next.
- Choose Custom installation, and then click Next.
- Choose the default destination path for IDS installation, and then click Next.
- On the following screen you are given options to select features that you want to install, as well as the option to clear the features that you don't want to install. Select the features that you want to install and then click Next.
- On the following screen you are asked to enter and confirm the password of user Informix. Installer creates the Informix user with the given password. Enter the password and click Next.
- On the following screen, you are asked to enter the Informix
server details such as server name, server number, service name,
port numbers, and others. Enter the server name of your choice and
click Next. The following values are used in this
tutorial, and are also shown in Figure 1.
- Server Name:
- Service Name for SQLI connections:
- Port number for SQLI:
- Server number:
- Server Alias for DRDA support:
- Port number for DRDA support:
- Server Name:
Figure 1. Informix server information
Recommended practice: Make sure that Initialize Server and Enable DRDA Support check boxes are selected. Make a note of the values entered on this screen. The port numbers do not have to be 9088 and 9089 but be sure to make a note of them.
- On the next screen, you can choose location and size of data dbspace and smart BLOB space. Enter 1024 as the size of dbspace and sbspace and click Next.
- On the next screen, you are given the summary of what you are going to install. Click Next to begin installation.
- Click Finish once the installation is completed.
Recommended practice: After the installation is done,
verify that the Informix Server instance is running by checking the
Windows services. You can also verify this by running the
onstat - and
onstat -d Informix commands from the
Informix command Window.
Any Informix database that Cognos BI Server can connect has to be a UTF8 database. Before creating the Informix database that you are going to use as a data source with Cognos BI, make sure that the DB_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE environment variables are set to en_us.UTF8. In addition to this, set DB_LOCALE and CLIENT_LOCALE environment variables to en_us.UTF8 using the setnet32 program. The Setnet32 program is part of Informix Client SDK (CSDK) and Informix Connect (IConnect) software. Install either CSDK or IConnect software in addition to Informix server software on the Informix host. CSDK and IConnect are part of the Informix Server install media. Refer to the instructions in the section titled Installing 32-bit Informix client software for more information on installing IConnect software. After the client software is installed, follow the procedure below to set some environment variables for UTF8 databases.
- Start Setnet32 by clicking Start -> All Programs -> IBM Informix Connect 3.50 -> Setnet32.
- From the Server Information tab, select the IBM Informix server cbiwin.
- Click the Environment tab and set the following environment variables:
Now we are going to setup a sample gosales database called
gsdb. Later on, you will configure this
database as a data source for the Cognos BI Server and connect to it
from the Cognos Framework Manager. To setup a
gsdb database on the Informix Server, do
the following steps:
- Download the compressed dbexport file GSDBv1.2_ids.zip to the C:\gosales folder on the Informix database server.
- Uncompress the dbexport file at C:\gosales. You will see a directory created with the name GSDBv1.2_ids, which contains the database dump.
- Open a command window for informix instance (cbiwin in our example) by clicking Start -> All Programs -> Informix Dynamic Server 11.50 -> < instance_name >.
- At the command prompt, change the directory to C:\gosales\GSDBv1.2_ids
- At the command prompt, run the following commands shown in Listing 1 to set the environment variables for CLIENT_LOCALE, DB_LOCALE, and DBDATE.
Listing 1: Setting environment variables
set CLIENT_LOCALE=en_us.utf8 set DB_LOCALE=en_us.utf8 set DBDATE=Y4MD
- Make sure that the SBSPACENAME parameter in the ONCONFIG.cbiwin parameter file (%INFORMIXDIR%\etc\%ONCONFIG%) is set to sbspace. If you followed the instructions in this tutorial and created the Informix instance at the time of Informix software installation, it will be automatically set to sbspace. If it is not already set, set the SBSPACENAME parameter to sbspace. Please note that this is not a requirement of Cognos BI but the sample gosales database uses an SBSPACE with the name sbspace.
- Recycle (stop and restart) the Informix instance service (Informix IDS - cbiwin) in the windows services.
- Execute createGSDBv1.2.bat batch command at the cbiwin command window that was previously opened. This batch command will create the gsdb database, create all the tables, and load the sample data into the tables.