Before you start
Before you start, read about what is covered in this tutorial, prerequisites, and system requirements.
This series has two parts. The first part covered the recommended practices for deploying Cognos Express software with Informix. This second part covers the recommended practices for deploying Cognos BI Server software with Informix as a content store and a data source.
This tutorial uses a two-server approach, where one server is used for hosting the Informix data sources and the other server is used for hosting Cognos BI software and the content store database.
The following topics are covered in this tutorial:
- Planning for hardware and software
- Setting up the server that is planned for hosing Informix data
- Installing Informix server software
- Creating a sample Informix database as a Cognos data source
- Tuning Informix database instance
- Setting up the server that is planned for hosting Cognos BI
components by doing the following:
- Installing Cognos BI Server software
- Installing Informix server software for the content store
- Creating a content store database
- Installing 32-bit Informix client software
- Installing IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ software
- Configuring client/server connectivity between Cognos BI and Informix server
- Cognos BI Server configuration
- Creating an Informix data source
- Using Informix data source in Cognos Framework Manager
At the time when this tutorial was written, IBM Cognos BI version 10.1 wasn't certified on IBM Informix version 11.70. However you shouldn't have any problems using Informix 11.70 database as a data source or a content store database as long as you install 32-bit Informix-Connect version 3.50 on the Cognos BI Server. More details to follow.
This tutorial is intended for system administrators and application administrators who are interested in deploying IBM Cognos BI Server version 10.1 with IBM Informix version 11.5 as a content store and an operational data mart on Windows Server 2003. You should have a general familiarity with installing software on Microsoft Windows.
To run the examples in this tutorial, you need a Windows 2003 server with at least 2 GB memory and local Administrator user access on the Windows box. You will also need access to Informix 11.5 server software, Informix Connect software, and Cognos BI Server 10.1 software.
IBM Cognos Business Intelligence is a Web-based business intelligence solution with integrated reporting, analysis, score-carding, and event management features. IBM Cognos BI consists of server and modeling components, which are described in the following section.
- Server components provide the user interfaces for
reporting, analysis, score-carding, event management, as well as
the server functionality for routing and processing user requests.
Server components are further classified into the following
- Gateway is an extension of a Web server program that transfers information from the Web server to another server. It provides Web Communication in Cognos BI. Gateways are often CGI programs but may follow other standards such as ISAPI, Apache Module etc.
- Application Tier Components that include IBM Cognos Administration, Cognos Viewer, Report Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, Event Studio, Metric Studio, IBM Cognos Business Insight and IBM Cognos for Microsoft Office.
- Content Manager manages the storage of data related to security, configuration, models, metrics, report specifications, and report output.
- Modeling components are used to model data within
data sources to structure and present data in a way that is
meaningful to end users. Modeling components include the following
- Framework Manager for creating a business view of the data.
- Metric Designer for extracting data for score-carding.
- IBM Cognos Transformer for multidimensional modeling.
- Series 7 IQD Bridge that contains the connection information that IBM Cognos BI requires to use IBM Cognos Series 7 Impromptu IQD data sources.
- Map Manager for importing and managing maps.
Please see the Resources section for a link to visit the IBM Cognos landing page for more information about Cognos BI solution offerings.
IBM Informix software's unmatched high availability, deep embed, blazing performance, zero administration, and data warehousing characteristics makes it a perfect relational database offering for any size business. Please see the Resources section to read the article by Carlton Doe for more information on IBM Informix 11 software editions.