Before you start
IBM Optim Performance Manager is a web-based database monitoring solution that helps you resolve your database performance issues with a guided approach. IBM Optim Performance Manager's Extended Insight feature provides end-to-end database performance monitoring for Java® and CLI applications, giving you the ability to quickly understand where your database applications are spending their time. With Extended Insight, DBAs can quickly see and understand where database applications are spending time across the IT stack from the application through the application server, the database client, the database server, and the network. When a critical business application isn't performing the way you expect, you need Extended Insight to give you end-to-end visibility from the line of code issuing a database statement right through to the database server. This enables you to quickly isolate and address problems by understanding and identifying where the problem is. When the problem isn't in the database itself, Extended Insight also makes it easier for you to work with the people managing other parts of the infrastructure or the developers to solve those problems.
End-to-end monitoring for CLI uses a connection supervisor client (CSC). The CSC implementation of IBM is PQCMX. PQCMX is part of the IBM Optim Performance Manager Extended Insight client. PQCMX is a native implementation of the Java CMX Client Service. Together, CLI and PQCMX form a CMX client that interacts with existing end-to-end monitoring components, such as CMX Controllers and CMX Monitors.
This tutorial takes you through a setup where you configure Optim Performance Manager's Extended Insight feature to monitor CLI applications.
This tutorial walks you through installing, configuring, and validating the Optim Performance Manager Extended Insight feature for CLI applications. Following are the main steps that are covered:
- Verify that you have the right prerequisites
- Install the software on the necessary servers
- Activate the Extended Insight feature
- Configure the CLI client to recognize the Extended Insight feature
- Validate your CLI client installation and the PQCMX setup
- Run a workload to validate that data is being collected
- Troubleshoot client installation or configuration
The Download section also contains a sample CLI workload program.
The tutorial makes the following assumptions about your environment:
- You have installed Optim Performance Manager and activated the Optim Performance Manager Extended Insight feature. The Resources section contains a link to detailed instructions for installing and configuring Optim Performance Manager.
- You have installed one of the IBM Data Server Client Packages for Version 9.7 Fix Pack 2 on your client computer. The instructions in the tutorial assume you are using the Data Server Driver Package. The Resources section contains a link to detailed instructions for installing IBM Data Server Client Packages.
- You have a database that is configured for monitoring.
- The instructions in the tutorial assume that Optim Performance Manager and the CLI client are both running on Windows®.