Appendix. Using PuTTY to connect to your instance from a Windows system
Follow these steps to use PuTTY on Windows.
- Download PuTTY, a no-charge SSH client for Microsoft Windows®. The putty.zip file contains a collection of tools, including putty, pscp, psftp, and puttygen.
- When you get to
in the tutorial, save the private key file
demokey.pem) in a desired location, such as
c:\on your Windows computer. PuTTY uses a different format for keys than SSH, so you need to convert the private key file into PuTTY format.
- Run puttygen.exe, and import the .pem file that you downloaded.
- Save and export the private key to the .ppk format, such as c:\demokey.ppk.
- Run putty.exe.
- Click Connection > SSH > Auth.
- Click Browse, and select the .ppk file, as shown in Figure 71.
Figure 71. Run putty.exe
- Click Session, and enter the hostname of your EC2 instance, as shown in Figure 72.
Figure 72. Configuring PuTTY
- Click Open at the bottom to connect your instance.