Before you start
Thinking about seeking certification on System Administration for IBM Informix version 11.70 (Exam 919)? If so, you've landed in the right spot to get started. This series of IBM Informix certification preparation tutorials covers all the topics you'll need to understand before you read that first exam question. Even if you're not seeking certification right away, this set of tutorials is a great place to start learning what's new in IBM Informix 11.70.
In this tutorial, you will learn how to keep your data secure by preventing unauthorized viewing and altering of data or other database objects. The material provided here primarily covers the objectives in Section 8 of the exam, entitled Security. Topics covered in this tutorial include:
- Connection security
- Network encryption
- Discretionary access control
After completing this tutorial, you should be able to:
- Know the concepts and usages of authentication, authorization, and encryption
- Allow database access to non-OS users
- Use onaudit to set up and configure security auditing on your database server
- Take advantage of trusted and trusted-context connections to enhance security
- Use the privileges of a role to secure your data
- Set up role separation to enforce access control on database server users
Informix 11.70 installation is covered in Part 1 of this tutorial series. If you haven't already done so, consider downloading and installing a copy of IBM Informix 11.70. An Informix server can help you understand many of the concepts that are tested on the System Administration for IBM Informix V11.70 Certification exam.
You do not need a copy of IBM Informix to complete this tutorial. However, you will get more out of the tutorial if you download the free trial version of Informix Innovator-C Edition (see Resources) to work along with this tutorial.