Before you start
Thinking about seeking certification on System Administration for IBM Informix version 11.70 (Exam 919)? If so, you've landed in the right spot to get started. This series of IBM Informix certification preparation tutorials covers all the topics you'll need to understand before you read that first exam question. Even if you're not seeking certification right away, this set of tutorials is a great place to start learning what's new in IBM Informix 11.70.
In this tutorial, you'll learn about Data Warehousing concepts, strategies, utilities, and commands. The material provided here primarily covers the objectives in Section 7 of the exam, entitled Warehousing. Topics covered in this tutorial include the following.
- Multi-index scans
- Star join optimization
- Fragment by list and interval
- Fragment-level statistics
- MERGE statement
- External tables
After completing this tutorial, you should be able to do the following.
- Know the concepts and usages of Data Warehousing.
- Understand the multi-index scans concept.
- Increase query performance with the star join optimization feature.
- Understand the use of fragmentation with Data Warehousing.
- Take advantage of combine update, insert, and delete operations into a single statement.
- Understand the use of an external table.
To understand the material presented in this tutorial you must be familiar with the following.
- The Informix environment (Configuration file and parameters, installation, and administration).
- Database server commands (onstat, onmode, oncheck, dbschema).
- Informix concepts and terminology (dbspaces, chunks, physical log, logical logs, checkpoint, and so on).
You do not need a copy of Informix to complete this tutorial. However, you will get more out of the tutorial if you download the free trial version of Informix Innovator-C Edition to work along with this tutorial.