Before you start
Learn what to expect from this tutorial, and how to get the most out of it.
Thinking about seeking certification on System Administration for Informix version 11.70 (Exam 919)? If so, you've landed in the right spot to get started. This series of Informix certification preparation tutorials covers all the topics you'll need to understand before you read that first exam question. Even if you're not seeking certification right away, this set of tutorials is a great place to start learning what's new in Informix 11.70.
In this tutorial, you'll learn about Informix backup and restore concepts, strategies, utilities, and commands for managing your database backup and restore processes. The material provided here primarily covers the objectives in Section 5 of the exam, entitled Backup and Restore.
Topics covered in this tutorial include the following:
- Backup and restore utilities
- Backup and restore strategies, types, and options
- Configuration and commands needed to perform the backup and restore processes
- Monitoring and debugging backup and restores
- Database recovery operations
After completing this tutorial, you should be able to:
- Develop an archiving strategy and schedule for database server backups
- Know which type of backup to perform and when
- Configure ON-Bar and ontape to perform backups and restores
- Know how to monitor and verify backups
- Understand recovery
- Restore the database server from an archive backup
- Optimize the fast recovery process
To understand the material presented in this tutorial you must be familiar with the following:
- The Informix environment (configuration file and parameters, installation and administration)
- Database server commands (onstat, onmode, oncheck, dbschema)
- Informix concepts and terminology (dbspaces, chunks, physical log, logical logs, checkpoint, and so on)
You do not need a copy of Informix to complete this tutorial. However, you will get more out of the tutorial if you download the free trial version of Informix Innovator-C Edition (see Resources) to work along with this tutorial.