Before you start
Learn what to expect from this tutorial, and how to get the most out of it.
Thinking about seeking certification on System Administration for Informix version 11.70 (Exam 919)? If so, you've landed in the right spot to get started. This series of Informix certification preparation tutorials covers all the topics you'll need to understand before you read that first exam question. Even if you're not seeking certification right away, this set of tutorials is a great place to start learning what's new in Informix 11.70.
This tutorial introduces and describes the subsystems within Informix 11.70, with emphasis on recent changes. In this tutorial, you will learn about the following to optimize your Informix server.
- Physical logging
- Logical logging
- Asynchronous IO VP
- Network parameters
- Disk resources
- CPU VP resources
- PDQ and the memory grant manager
- Scan threads
- Index creation
- Statistics maintenance
- Server self tuning
This tutorial is the fourth in a series of eight tutorials to help you prepare for the System Administration for Informix V11.70 Certification (Exam 919). The material in this tutorial primarily covers the objectives in Section 4 of the test, which is entitled Performance tuning.
If you haven't already done so, consider downloading and installing a copy of IBM Informix 11.70. Installing Informix will help you understand many of the concepts that are tested on the System Administration for IBM Informix V11.70 Certification exam.
After completing this tutorial, you should be able to:
- Understand operating system resource considerations
- Use Informix features to optimize performance
To understand the material presented in this tutorial you must be familiar with the following:
- The Informix environment (configuration file and parameters, installation and administration)
- Database server commands (onstat, onmode, oncheck, dbschema)
- Informix concepts and terminology (dbspaces, chunks, physical log, logical logs, checkpoints, and so on)
Complete these steps to prepare for this tutorial:
- Download and install a copy of IBM Informix 11.70.
- Create a server instance.
- Create the stores_demo
database using the command
%dbaccessdemo7 -log -nots
You should be able to use your instance and the stores_demo database as the starting point for testing concepts presented in this tutorial.